2002 RXDI Sensor location

I am hoping that someone on here can help me determine where this sensor is suppose to go. (See pics below) I had the engine in my ski rebuilt and now as it is going back in we don't know where to put this sensor. It appears to be an exhaust temperature sensor since it looks like there is soot on it. The leads on the sensor limit where it can be installed and I do not see any bungs on the exhaust near its location. Does anyone know where this should go?

Quote Originally Posted by 02rx/di View Post
    I am hoping that someone on here can help me determine where this sensor is suppose to go. (See pics below) I had the engine in my ski rebuilt and now as it is going back in we don't know where to put this sensor. It appears to be an exhaust temperature sensor since it looks like there is soot on it. The leads on the sensor limit where it can be installed and I do not see any bungs on the exhaust near its location. Does anyone know where this should go?

That looks like either the water temp sensor or the exhaust gas temp sensor. The water temp sensor goes in the top of the head in the center behind the fuel rail. . The exhaust temp sensor goes in the muffler.

Pages 06-03-27 and 06-03-28 of the 2001 service manual has pics.

I believe the sensor in the head is already installed. I will have to check today, the ski is at a buddies shop. As far as the sensor in the muffler, is it possible that if it were an aftermarket muffler that there may not be a bung for the sensor? I have looked at the muffler and didn't see a place where this sensor could screw in. I am thinking that possibly the sensor was not installed even before the engine was removed. Would the ski even run without this sensor? Also just for reference, the guy that owned the ski before me was performance oriented and put a PPG kit on it. I also believe that the muffler was changed out.

Thread Information