Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool impeller questions.. with pictures

Ok,

I have attached 3 pictures of my current pump setup.. I have recently came to find out that my original impellor may have not been the 4 blade that's in there now... your thoughts? Anyway, as many of you know, I am currently looking for ways to make the SL 780 faster (preferably more MPH first, acceleration is good too)... anyway... this impellor is scraping the side of the the pump housing as you can see in the pictures ! is that normal? Second... what type of impellor would I be looking at to replace what I currently have that would best benefit the performace of the ski... I would like to see a few more MPH on the top end before acceleration... I already have the pro 785 CDI.. so that should help with explosive acceleration, now I need a prop that's going to make the ski go faster...

Am watching an slx extended pump assembly now, however the guy who's selling does not have the extended steering cable , anybody have one? I will need it if I get the extended pump (this is the second time around here on the extended pumps). The guy who's selling thinks he has the extended trim rod.. would that be all I need to convert my SL780 short pump housing to the extended one featured on the SLX780?

Also looking into getting an R&D intake grate, and an extended ride plate... as far as the ride plate goes.. what brand do you guys recommend? (cost conservative of course)

Oh yeah! that cone looking thing that screws onto the end of the pump shaft... what is it's signifcance and if removed will there be a performance gain? (I have it removed in one of the three pictures)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2405.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	8604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2407.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	8605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2408.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	8606  

+1
    The stock 780 came with 5131079 4 blade progressive pitch use the search function this topic has been covered.

By the way, I checked and I do have the trim rod.

Gary

Ok, just got off the phone with wetherby... he says I could benefit with a three swirl impeller on the top end which Is what I want... what do you guys think? He also says that the 4 blade I have is great for choppy water...which our big lakes often have unless you get there on a really slow day...

Oh, and I did a search for the cone shaped thing on the end of the pump... didn't find any results.. your views on leaving this off? what does it do is basically my question...

+1

This is regarding the intake grate and extended ride plate:

Will a High Performance Intake Grate and Extended Ride Plate off of a 1996 Polaris SL 750 fit on my sl 780?

Looked at wetwolf... but I can't seem to tell still what it does... I know it aids in directing the water out... but doesn't it block some flow too?

Banned User
    Jared forget the Wet wolf cone for now, and leave the stocker installed.

The Wet Wolf AAT cone acts as a torque converter for jet pumps. when properly adjusted, it will increase hole-shot and give a little more top end. But it can be difficult for a novice to fine-tune.

I wasn't planning on chunking that much into it yet anyway... but regarding impellors... ok, so acceleration aside... which impellor should I be looking at that is going to give me maximum top end speed? I don't want acceleration to lag too much, but which one should I look into for top end speed benefits..?

Jared

Sl 780

I had one and did everything I could to get more speed out of it. I found the Scatrack 15/20 from the 96 SLX worked best along with the jetting from the SLX as well as bumped compression. Also Boyseen Pro series reeds really helped the bottom and midrange. Much better than Carbon techs. I tried the 13/18 and didn't like it as well also the Solas 14/19. I have a Factory service manual with all the part numbers and specs if you need any more info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information