Bent Exhaust Valve 08 VX110 14 hrs

Bought '08 VX110 deluxe w/ 12 hrs 6 weeks ago. ruan for 2 hrs in salt but flushed after. 3 weeks later could not start, no compression in #1 cylinder. Pulled Valve cover and found #2 Ex valve on #1 cyl stuck open. Pulled can out of the way. Bumped w/ extension and rubber mallet to break loose. Re assembled, ran great for about 45 mins then quit. Now no compression #2 cyl. Pulled valve cover again and #2 valve on #2 cyl has problem. Valve cotter have come loose and gotten chewed up. Relace w/ new cotters and valve still stuck, very tough to move the valve. Not right. Went ahead and pull the head(PIA), damned valve is bent to hell. Suspect bad gas and have drained tank and refilled w/ new gas and additives. Ski had a weird stink to it with the old gas and I suspect it had ethanol and had phase seperated and absorbed water.. Pumping varnish out of the exhaust and coating the valves. Saw rust on other plugs and some surface rust on one cylinder. Anyway, new valve and head gasket ordered. No indication of contact of piston w/ valve. Valve tweeked above and below the guide. Will update next week. What could have caused this other than the old gas?

Valve did contact piston

After cleaning off some carbon on top of the piston, I could see a very light ding where the piston hit the valve. Guessing the bad gas caused the valve to hang open. Evidence of corrosion and heavy gummy build up on intake valves, plugs and exh valves. The ethanol gas issue is serious. Take my word for. If you get one of these used, drain the gas first and start over. Used skis w/ low hrs can be a time bomb. Parts in tomorrow so we'll see if she recovers.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    i doubt its the gas. low hours on a used ski is not always a good thing. usually means that it was sitting unused and neglected. my guess would be improper storage led to rusty valves. I would rebuild the whole head while you have it off.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    i doubt its the gas. low hours on a used ski is not always a good thing. usually means that it was sitting unused and neglected. my guess would be improper storage led to rusty valves. I would rebuild the whole head while you have it off.
    yeah + 1 on that..low hour skis aren't always the "great deal"

Typically the new owners are excited about them, put 30-40 hours on em first season, they they get forgotten to rot in thebackyard, perhaps under a good cover.

you come along and think you found the holy grail of skis..damm an 05 rxp with just 20 hours on it wow!

go to start it up and the engine is rusted solid.

Old is old..no way around that.

reminds me of the story of the 50 year old virgin.....

Bent valve

Well I replaced the bent valve. Def. some heavy varnish on the exhaust valves and small rust spots. Cleaned and checked for free movement of all while I had the head off. Exh valve were spotless ex for a few small rust spots. Looks like it was pumping some seperated water into the intake.

Got everything back together. Tried to retime the cams with a cylmer manual, what a waste. this manual sucks. Turned by hand to make sure no interference. No comp on 1 and 4, so cam timing not right. Dropped by Big #1 yamaha where I bought it and they are going to time it. Should have just marked the chain and spockets before I disassembled.

Thread Information