Drive shaft impeller help

Excuse me but I'm on my iPhone was just out on the lake when my 97 sltx went "cherclunk" sounds lie the drive shaft so I went onder the machine and removed intake grate is the shaft/impeller supposed to have any play I cantliterally slide it forward and back ward about an inch I can't view any large PDF so I can't really search also the "in out" of the fuel water seperator which hose goes where? Does the "in" go to the tank and "out" to the on off fuel switch or vice versa

+1
    No, you should not be able to move the driveshaft, let alone an inch.

Tank line goes "in" the water seperator. "Out" goes to the fuel selector switch.

SoTSp how do I fix this? On the inside of the machine I see a zirk or zurt or however u spell it fitting and a rubber hose with clamps over the shaft what caused it to come out and hopefully nothing got stripped. How much would this cost at a dealership

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is that the bearings in the jet pump stator have failed.

Remove the jet pump, and check the impeller stub shaft bearings for damage.

Details on how to remove the jet pump can be found in many other threads on here.

k447-

Thanks for the great writeup on the removal of the jet pump. This machine was a salt water machine for a brief enough time that I'm not going to be tackling this myself. The previous owner replaced the wear ring and impeller, now I dont think he did it right. The clunk im hearing I think is the impeller shaft. Again, I'm physically able to move it (after removing the grate) forward and backward about 2 inches. Upon further inspection, since I'm underneath the machine, the ride plate looks horrible, I was able to remove a few screws, but the inserts for the screws are loose on the rest, I saw a post on possible removal of those, and replacement/workaround for what I'm going to have to do.

I really do want to do this myself, especially since the dealership wants an hour up front, and cant get me in for another week...just dont think i'll have the time to do it. I'm gonna shoot some pb blaster on it and let it soak in for a few hours here and there and maybe take a crack at it.

Again, thanks for the quick post ups (I had the fuel thing right, just was bothering me and i had no computer to look it up on)

Thread Information