No spark on polaris freedom

Well we were taking the jetski out for the first time. While looking over everything we tried starting it and it would not start. After inspection we found that it was an electrical problem, and we have no idea bout the electrics. The soonest time we could get it to a shop is 2 weeks and that doesn't help us for this beautiful weekend.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, but as we do not know much about the electrical any technical terms would go right over our heads.
    Please and thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Replace the battery. Best chance for a quick fix.

Buy a sealed AGM battery - worth the extra money.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    I agree... Check the battery. Just because it will turn the motor over doesn't mean it has enough voltage to make the spark. I know, I just about freaked out when I couldn't get my wife's ski started after bragging about how easy it started. I put on a battery charger and I was able to fire it right up. You need a good battery in these things.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Replace the battery. Best chance for a quick fix.

Buy a sealed AGM battery - worth the extra money.
    Sorry I was going to fast and forgot to mention that we had the battery hooked up to a charger while in the ski, when we tried to start it. So we know that there was no problem with voltage to anything. Therefore I have concluded that it is something in the wiring, the only problem is that I have no idea where to start when it comes to the electrical aspect. The thing I have checked for this was the fuses which seem to be fine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake16JA View Post
    Sorry I was going to fast and forgot to mention that we had the battery hooked up to a charger while in the ski, when we tried to start it. So we know that there was no problem with voltage to anything.

Therefore I have concluded that it is something in the wiring, the only problem is that I have no idea where to start when it comes to the electrical aspect. The thing I have checked for this was the fuses which seem to be fine.
    Not so fast there...

You had a charger connected to the battery and tried to start it with the charger still charging? Unless it was a high output current starting charger, the voltage during cranking could still have been too low.

If it WAS a high current charger, then the voltage out of the charger could have spiked the electronics in the electrical box.

NEVER use an outside power source to try boosting or starting a Polaris PWC. There is a real risk of damaging the electronics.

With just the battery connected, measure the battery voltage. Keep the meter connected, and crank the engine. If the battery voltage does not stay ABOVE 10.6 volts while the engine is cranking, the battery is too weak. Replace the battery.

If battery voltage DOES stay above 10.6 while cranking, move the meter probes into the electrical box. Find the Red/Purple wire that connects directly to the CDI module and the Black wire that also connects directly to the CDI.

Measure the voltage right at the CDI while cranking the engine. Voltage must stay above 10.6 volts, or no spark.

Report back

Will do
    Except we are gonna have to wait til tomorrow so we can get a voltage meter

Thread Information