Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris SL 650 Won't Open Up - Please Help Me!

Hey guys,
    I need some help and I am hoping that you guys may be able to give me a little bit of guidance...

I have a 1996 Polaris SL 650 jet ski, last summer it ran just fine and I had no major issues.

I dropped it in the water today for the first time (had it running great out of water hooked up to hose) and it starts, but it won't open up.

It starts up, idles fine, but when you pull throttle to full speed, it goes only a little faster and in some instances it dies, it does not go as fast as it should, not even close.

I am not sure what caused this, like I said when I had it out of water I had it running with a hose hooked up and it was fine, was not having this issue.

1 thing I found out reading online is that I shut the engine off with the water from the hose still running, did I make a mistake here and cause damage?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

-Vic

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    When you put the ski away, did you winterize it? Stabil in the gas tank, then run it so it made it's way into the carbs?

Sounds like you're running lean. Did pulling the choke help it get up to speed?

Thw water left runnig with the engine off was a MAJOR no-no.

You should perform a crank index test to make sure you didn't alter your cylinder timing.

Thanks for the reply.

When I winterized it, I did use fuel stabilizer and ran it so that it would get through everything.

If I pull the choke while I'm running and hit full throttle it slows, so that does not help.

What would the crank index test do? Is that difficult?

Thank you again,
    Vic

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The proper way to check your index is with a dial indicator and a degree wheel. However, you can do the redneck method quite easily.

Remove the spark plugs and the engine coupler cover

Place the eraser end of a pencil into the CEN cyl plug hole and find Top Dead Center. Once it's at TDC, there will be a little bit of play as the piston starts to change direction. Try to leave the piston in the middle of that "play".

Now take the pencil and put it into the MAG plug hole and make a mark on the pencil even with the cyl head. (a razor blade held flat works great.

Now take the pencil and and place it in the PTO cyl and make a mark on the pencil the same way.

The marks should be exactly the same distance. (within a couple thousandths)

The proper method would be to find TDC of each piston with a dial indicator and make a mark on the engine coupler, or using the degree wheel.

Each mark should be made, or read on the wheel at 120* degrees apart.
    Last edited by xlint89; 03-22-2011 at 08:18 PM.

+1
    I like the red neck way and I think I will use, I love you guys with knowledge...

Or have blown too many motors up Trial and Error...

My jet ski is doing the samething. I just order a triple outlet fuel pump. Hope that will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post

Remove the spark plugs and the engine coupler cover

Place the eraser end of a pencil into the CEN cyl plug hole and find Top Dead Center. Once it's at TDC, there will be a little bit of play as the piston starts to change direction. Try to leave the piston in the middle of that "play".

Now take the pencil and put it into the MAG plug hole and make a mark on the pencil even with the cyl head. (a razor blade held flat works great.

Now take the pencil and and place it in the PTO cyl and make a mark on the pencil the same way.

The marks should be exactly the same distance. (within a couple thousandths)
    Hi there just got done searching around for some instruction on what to do once you know your crank is OUT of index.
    what should my next steps be?
    will this require a full teardown to correct this issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	367581  

+1
    FATJOE4
    That is close I think you were just on one side of the revolution or the other.There will be some play on each cylinder as you come up to TDC. You may have to move the crank back and forth to even the PTO and MAG the Center will be at the top. It will naturally fall off one way or another.

Double check it looks close and should be ok.

JJ

+1
    FATJOE4<br>That is close I think you were just on one side of the revolution or the other.There will be some play on each cylinder as you come up to TDC. You may have to move the crank back and forth to even the PTO and MAG the Center will be at the top. It will naturally fall off one way or another.<br><br>Double check it looks close and should be ok.<br><br>JJ

Ok I give it another look today Thanks!
    I checked the compression today
    mag 147 cen 139 pto 131 so I don't think I have a problem there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information