Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worth It?

Worth It?

Hey folks. VERY new to the PWC world, so I thought I'd throw this up here for some expert advice. Found this ski, so I thought I'd check it out to see if it was worth the time, and more importantly the $$ to invest in.

1995 Sea Doo XP 720cc. Needs top end replacement done. Removed entire motor last year as I was planning on doing this myself, however I have decided to purchase a boat instead. Motor is still out of the craft.

Body is in fair shape for the age of the watercraft.

This is a great bargain for a "do it yourself" enthusiast who wants some fun on the water this year!

THERE IS NO TRAILER FOR THIS SEA DOO

I figured it didn't look too bad to get me into my first machine. Thoughts? Input greatly appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    What are they asking for it? I hope less than $500USD

I wouldnt pay more than $150.00-$200.00 MAX for it.

Asking $600, can most likely talk him down to $500. No idea if it's just the top end that needs replacing. I'll have to head over to have a closer look at it with someone that knows a bit more about machines than I do (learning curve has just started).

i would definitely not give him more than 300 for it. If it had a trailer maybe 500, but no trailer = 200 discount in my world.

Pretty hard to chew him down that much....he has the upper hand really since someone will pay the asking price I'm sure. I guess I can only offer what I did and see what he says.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I have a buddy that has a clean 95XP with aluminum trailer if you are willing to come to central illinois for $1000

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Pretty hard to chew him down that much....he has the upper hand really since someone will pay the asking price I'm sure. I guess I can only offer what I did and see what he says.
    Keep in mind, most anyone who would be able to fix that boat on his/her own would likely be like us. We all think that 600 bucks with no trailer is a rip-off on that boat. So, I do not think anyone is likely to pay that for it.

Most noobs make the mistake of thinking that a PWC is like a car. You go look at it, it runs, you like it, you buy it. They do not have any idea of the little details that can spell doom and gloom (and are probably why the machine is being sold in the first place).

In this case it is dead, in pieces, with no trailer, and who knows how it looks.

No, it would not be a bad first boat and fixing it up would be a great way to learn how they work and how to keep them working. But, not at 600 bucks.

IMO, tell him you have 200 in your pocket right now. If he will not take it just walk away. No haggle, no nothing, just thank him and GTHO.

One of two things will happen, he will change his mind, or he will not. Either way, you are in good shape. You either get a boat for what it is worth, or you do not get ripped off.

+1
    I'm definetly down with the majority here.... Five hundred is a bit excessive. Max I would pay for that boat is $ 250. I bet you it would end up needed more than a top end, I would put a fresh motor in it anyway, no sense in re-doing the top end and finding out it needs a crank after all your labor.

Honestly that's the most common statement I've ever heard from a two stroke seller, "just needs a top end"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    I'm definetly down with the majority here.... Five hundred is a bit excessive. Max I would pay for that boat is $ 250. I bet you it would end up needed more than a top end, I would put a fresh motor in it anyway, no sense in re-doing the top end and finding out it needs a crank after all your labor.

Honestly that's the most common statement I've ever heard from a two stroke seller, "just needs a top end"
    Amen!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information