Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Raider1100 bogging when taking off and a miss.

Ok guys its been a while since i have been on and even ridin my jetski. I took it out yesterday the first time this year and it still boggs whenever i go to take off once i get outta the marina wake zone. I have to hold the throttle around 7mph and it slowly gains rpms and just seems to catch and take off. If i just hit the throttle it boggs and dies. It also has this miss from 40-full throtle sometimes shows up elsewere. It gets worse if i start hitting waves and catching air. On the catching air note i have noticed that whenever the prop catches air and revs up it sounds like it revs WAY more then it used to and sounds like it is over revving. Me and my dad are thinking it is the cdi causing the over revving and miss. And the bogging could be the fact that the carb hasnt been rebuilt that i no of and it has 280 hrs Im sorry for the long ramblee but just wanted to explain the best i could. Thanks Patrick

+1
    A carb cleaning / rebuild after that many hours sounds like a good idea. Did you winterize it properly, have you used old gas, are your fuel lines the grey Tempo kind?

If your answers are no, yes, and yes, then you might have a problem with fuel.

I don't know the common issues with the 1100, but it sounds like maybe your carbs are clogged / not properly aligned.

Dave

+1
    No we never really have winterized it. Just ran the water out of it best we could. The gas isnt completely old. It was on the last bar of fuel and so we put 40 dollars in it b4 we took it out. And are those fuel lines your talking about factory on some skis and cause problems?Are they all grey and light gray or dark grey? Dont reallyknow what kind of lines i should be looking for. Thanks for the responses so far!Iwill go out and look at the fuel lines here once i get some breakfest.

+1
    The fuel lines are grey (not sure if there are different shades or not) and say TEMPO on them (nothing to do with my name). If they are Tempo ones, they break down and gum things up in the fuel system. Search the forum, especially the Polaris section.

A bogging issue sounds like something in the carb isn't adjusted properly, or there's crud in the system / carbs. When I said aligned in my last post, I meant adjusted.

Has it always had this problem? If you've never done anything to the ski when you got it (did you get it used?) then it might be time for a little cleaning / rebuild.

When the prop is out of the water there's no resistance to it, so it does spin up faster - don't hold your throttle open for any amount of time when the pump isn't hooked up.

Breakfast at 1:20 PM? I haven't done that in years!

+1
    When we first got the jetski(used) it never had any problems like this. The only things weve done engine wise is put a new rear main seal on it and had to tighten the engine mounts. Weve also replaced the rubber dampner between the engine and pto driveshaft couplers. I have had the jetskis off but never rebuilt them. On the rpm part i no that is the case whenever the prop gets air. But it just sounds ALOT higher pitched then it used to. This all started pretty much the last time i took it out last fall. Never gotta chance to look at it over the winter between school and sports.

And ya im an hour behind you but i didnt get up till 12ish and have been up past 1 three nights in a row lol finally gotta chance to sleep in.

+1
    REBUILD your carbs and change the externall fuel filter.
    If you dont you stand a good chance of seizing the engine.

+1
    Yes i DEFINITLY am planning on rebuilding them. Should i even worry about the miss and what sounds like it over revving being caused by the cdi? I have been looking at some of rivas cdi units on ebay that arent that price.(compared to $660 for a stock one)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    And ya im an hour behind you but i didnt get up till 12ish and have been up past 1 three nights in a row lol finally gotta chance to sleep in.
    I was just giving you a hard time - as long as being up that late was worth it

I realised there was likely a time difference, but I find I can't sleep in that late even if I try.

Listen to the Scot - rebuild & change your filter (and look to see if there's crap in there) then you can try looking for other issues. Why do you think it's the CDI?

+1
    Ok well the reason i think its the CDI is because i thought(could be wrong) that the stock cdi has a rev limiter on it and it with it sounding like its reving higher then it used to when it catchs air i was thinking mayb the rev limiter went out. And then i kinda had a side thought that if that was the case and it did go out then mayb tat could cause some of the missing. Like for example it could be that with me hitting some waves on the river, it cavitates and revs up, then starts missing some. I thought mayb if the rev limiter was messing up it could just be late on stopping(controling) the high rev and then thinkin it needs to make the engine miss and then it makes it miss to were it is noticeable. Of course i could be COMPLETELY wrong and the cdi not even funciton like that. Honestly i dont know and was just troubleshooting in my head I think i will just keep with the suggestions that all you tryd and tested veterans have and keep my amature ideas out Thanks for the help yal! really apreciate it

+1
    Being able to try and follow these problems is always good - and after awhile you start to see the same kinds of problems, so then you have ideas about how to fix them.

I'm not sure about the workings of the CDI (never given it much thought), but I'd be more worried about the bogging. Start with that IMO and then tackle the other issue. Do you have the service manual for your Raider?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information