Thread: The Clutch

+1

The Clutch

I am learning things on the fly and I have learned a lot of things, but there are many things that I still have no clue about. One is the clutch. Could somebody please explain what the clutch does? How do you know if the clutch is not working? Are there things that you can do to prevent the clutch from going? Are there certain sounds to listen for? Can the clutch be partially working? Can you ride if the clutch is not working? Will there be losses of speed? I know its a lot of questions but if I'm going to learn about this then I need to know. Hopefully this thread can be a good learning lesson for a lot people.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    I am learning things on the fly and I have learned a lot of things, but there are many things that I still have no clue about. One is the clutch. Could somebody please explain what the clutch does? How do you know if the clutch is not working? Are there things that you can do to prevent the clutch from going? Are there certain sounds to listen for? Can the clutch be partially working? Can you ride if the clutch is not working? Will there be losses of speed? I know its a lot of questions but if I'm going to learn about this then I need to know. Hopefully this thread can be a good learning lesson for a lot people.
    It's a one way clutch locks one way and free wheels the other. The best way to tell if the one way clutch is good (with the engine off) stick your finger in the supercharger and try to turn the impeller if the clutch is good it will turn one direction and lock the other. If it turns both directions the clutch is bad. A good way to prevent damage to the clutch is have a BOV and don't let off the throttle quick on a wide open run, On a one way clutch sprag system like we have it's good or bad no in between. Yes you can get back if a clutch goes out you will know right away you will lose a ton of speed.

+1
    Ok that does clear some things up. I already checked mine the way you said. It spins freely one way and does not turn the other. I talked with Glen at R&D and he said sometimes they lock up and will make a noise like if you had a baseball card in the spokes of your bike except louder when you let off the throttle. Are there other parts in that area that could go bad but still allow the clutch to work? When my ski is turned off, you can hear something spinning but it sounds like it is not smooth. When compared to a brand new stock ski, the stock ski spun very smoothly until it stopped. Mine makes a very slight noise as if something is dragging a bit.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    Ok that does clear some things up. I already checked mine the way you said. It spins freely one way and does not turn the other. I talked with Glen at R&D and he said sometimes they lock up and will make a noise like if you had a baseball card in the spokes of your bike except louder when you let off the throttle. Are there other parts in that area that could go bad but still allow the clutch to work? When my ski is turned off, you can hear something spinning but it sounds like it is not smooth. When compared to a brand new stock ski, the stock ski spun very smoothly until it stopped. Mine makes a very slight noise as if something is dragging a bit.
    After i installed a bigger wheel when shutting the ski off it would free wheel more and sound louder than the factory wheel nothing to worry about, Do not rev it up just before you shut it off let it idle then shut it off. The spinning you hear is the clutch allowing the wheel and gears to free wheel. The only other parts are the gears going to the supercharger and the shaft and bushing in the supercharger. The other thing that can make a noise is if you have a chipped tooth on the gears.

+1
    a little visual to go with Jims superb explanations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00046-20091207-1217.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	190983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00047-20091207-1217.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	190984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00045-20091207-1216.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	190985  

I have some questions to add to this post.
    Clutch differences new vs old (aside from tooth count).
    08-12 clutch the same?
    57t clutch new or old style? And is it rebuild able with the sprag elements from an 08 clutch where the parts microfiche lists individual components.
    My 2013 fx sho donor ski has 09/12 manufacturer date on engine any way to tell if I have old or new clutch without pulling front cover.

And last question if old clutch 57t? How many teeth on intermediate gear, as well as new style clutch 60t? How many teeth on intermediate gear.

And how does this all work with supercharger shaft gear?
    Mainly can I put 2014 svho supercharger shaft in my 2013 fx sho supercharger and there not be any gear mesh issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    It's a one way clutch locks one way and free wheels the other. The best way to tell if the one way clutch is good (with the engine off) stick your finger in the supercharger and try to turn the impeller if the clutch is good it will turn one direction and lock the other. If it turns both directions the clutch is bad. A good way to prevent damage to the clutch is have a BOV and don't let off the throttle quick on a wide open run, On a one way clutch sprag system like we have it's good or bad no in between. Yes you can get back if a clutch goes out you will know right away you will lose a ton of speed.
    i have a thread about my clutch issue. Mine was making a horrible noise and spinning way to long after powering off but it still only spun one way. I swapped it out and even spinning by hand you could here noise. The new oem clutch is dead quite. I took it apart and a few bearings had minor damage to them. But I was still making full boost at last ride.

Thread Information