Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie to PWC's--can someone steer me in the right direction?

Wasn't sure which section to put this in, because it's not specific to a certain brand... I'm a newbie when it comes to PWC's and would like to hear some pros/cons to some of the jet ski's I'm considering buying. The only jet ski I have ridden (however I have ridden a lot) is my buddy's Sea Doo 155hp GTX wake edition. On the lake we spend our summer vacation on, it usually tops out at 52 mph--probably would be more, but it's usually somewhat choppy. I like the way the SeaDoo rides, but I would like something with a bit more power if it can be had within my budget (READ: so I can beat my buddy, LOL). I would like to find something in the $4k to lower $5k range with trailer. So far, these are the PWC's that I have found locally that have been within my budget. I would like to hear any pro's and con's that you experts can share. Also, I would prefer a 3 seater as they do seem to be more stable.

• 03-07 Honda Aquatrax F-12X - this one seems to be very reliable from what I have read. Guessing I could mod it to get some more power to be comparable to a supercharged SeaDoo
    • Yr ?? Yamaha FX Cruiser HO 160HP - not sure if this one will be fast enough, but I could be wrong.
    • 02+ SeaDoo GTX 4-tec supercharged - this may be the least reliable of the bunch, but probably the fastest? So far, I have only found 185HP versions (02-05) in my budget but would love to have a 215HP version or RXT.
    Thanks in advance... and if there are any more considerations, please let me know. Keep in mind I prefer a 3 seater and a performance oriented machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedgta View Post
    03-07 Honda Aquatrax F-12X - this one seems to be very reliable from what I have read. Guessing I could mod it to get some more power to be comparable to a supercharged SeaDoo
    Welcome to the forum. Okay forget about this one; very few mods available, and you're not gonna be "comparable" to a supercharged Doo with that thing cavitating on you.

Yr ?? Yamaha FX Cruiser HO 160HP - not sure if this one will be fast enough, but I could be wrong.
    This is probably your best bet for a used PWC, very dependable and you could drop about $1,200 in Riva parts which might get you up there with your buddy, but you're still not going to win against a supercharged Doo. Don't forget, you can get these parts from Jerry's Green Hulk online store with a discount too. See here for reference:
    http://www.rivaracing.com/pwc_perf_p...160_rpmkit.asp

02+ SeaDoo GTX 4-tec supercharged - this may be the least reliable of the bunch, but probably the fastest? So far, I have only found 185HP versions (02-05) in my budget but would love to have a 215HP version or RXT.[/LIST]Thanks in advance... and if there are any more considerations, please let me know.
    Probably a 2003 model. That ski can be modded for less money and get you over 65 mph. But in my opinion you're taking a gamble with one that old. See here:
    http://www.rivaracing.com/pwc_perf_p...c_stg1_kit.asp

You're right, the RXT 215's are excellent performers; we have hundreds of hours on ours and they will still pass most of the watercraft we run into with no problem. If you really want to be comparable with the SC Doos, my best advice is to save your money a little longer and just get one with a transferrable extended warranty, because these 4 strokes can be very expensive to repair, especially the higher performance SC models.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Okay forget about this one; very few mods available, and you're not gonna be "comparable" to a supercharged Doo with that thing cavitating on you.

This is probably your best bet for a used PWC, very dependable and you could drop about $1,200 in Riva parts which might get you up there with your buddy, but you're still not going to win against a supercharged Doo. Don't forget, you can get these parts from Jerry's Green Hulk online store with a discount too. See here for reference:
    http://www.rivaracing.com/pwc_perf_p...160_rpmkit.asp

Probably a 2003 model. That ski can be modded for less money and get you over 65 mph. But in my opinion you're taking a gamble with one that old. See here:
    http://www.rivaracing.com/pwc_perf_p...c_stg1_kit.asp

You're right, the RXT 215's are excellent performers; we have hundreds of hours on ours and they will still pass most of the watercraft we run into with no problem. If you really want to be comparable with the SC Doos, my best advice is to save your money a little longer and just get one with a transferrable extended warranty, because these 4 strokes can be very expensive to repair, especially the higher performance SC models.
    Thanks for the reply! Are you saying that the Yamaha FX160 will have trouble keeping up with a 155HP SeaDoo GTX without mods?

Would it be worth it to spend a little more on a 215HP version of the SeaDoo? Any way to get extended warranties on these if the factory warranty is up (what is the factory warranty anyway)?

+1
    Thanks for the reply! Are you saying that the Yamaha FX160 will have trouble keeping up with a 155HP SeaDoo GTX without mods?
    What I am saying is that based on my experience the stock Yamaha will slowly lose performance due to clogging of it's restrictive air filtration system, and eventually you will need velocity stacks to avoid that. (see the link I gave you). We have hundreds of hours on our Sea-Doos and they still perform very close to the same level as when we bought them. The HO's are great machines, but not really great speedsters comparable to the SC Doos. Maybe someone with a GTX can give you their current GPS numbers. Our neighbor here has one but I have never checked it with the GPS. My guess is that the 155 Doo will have a better hole shot, Yamahas are going to cavitate more than the Doos; that's why they have to buy those pump seal kits. Sea-Doos simply have the best performing stock pumps and nozzles on the market, IMHO.

Would it be worth it to spend a little more on a 215HP version of the SeaDoo? Any way to get extended warranties on these if the factory warranty is up (what is the factory warranty anyway)?
    Well, it sounds to me like you already have a bit of the speed bug, so I think it would be better for you to get the highest performing craft you can afford. But my advice to everyone is ALWAYS get a PWC with a transferrable warranty because you never know how it was treated and these newer 4 strokes can be expensive to repair unless you wrench. Sure, you can get a third party warranty, but they are not cheap, and some people have found they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Whatever you decide, have fun out there and be safe.

I have no problem tearing into an engine, but just have never owned or worked on a PWC before. Speaking of speed bug, you guessed that correctly--here's what I do in my spare time:

www.v8muscle.net

If I can find a SC Doo with low hrs, even if it's 185HP version, is that worth it? I.e. are you saying the older ones have more issues, or just the "age" issue.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm truly in need of education here...LOL.

+1
    If I can find a SC Doo with low hrs, even if it's 185HP version, is that worth it? I.e. are you saying the older ones have more issues, or just the "age" issue.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm truly in need of education here...LOL.
    I'm saying if you just want a reliable ski, there are plenty of them out there. But when you talk about wanting something "comparable to a supercharged Sea-Doo," in your price range, that's another story. Start by reading this:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    ...Well, it sounds to me like you already have a bit of the speed bug, so I think it would be better for you to get the highest performing craft you can afford...
    I agree. If you are into performance and getting the ski for yourself, go with the supercharged model if you can. Its worth the difference in price. The difference between 155 and 185 or 185 and 215/255 is noticeable.

+1
    Take a look at a Kawasaki stx-15f. One of the quickest n/a skis out there and can be had relatively cheap. As far as the Yamaha FXHO vs. Seadoo Wake, I have an '05 Wake with 96 hrs and my neighbor has an '04 FXHO with 160 hrs, he will walk away from my Wake.

Good info guys, thanks! I had seen some Kawasaki STX-15F's for sale but didn't know anything about them.

Can someone explain the cavitation thing? And are some models (hull designs) more prone to that than others? I know it was mentioned the Honda Aquatrax is bad about it above...

+1
    Can someone explain the cavitation thing? And are some models (hull designs) more prone to that than others? I know it was mentioned the Honda Aquatrax is bad about it above...
    It's related to intake design and pump efficiency. Basically, with regard to personal watercraft, CAVITATION is a result of "CAVITIES" in the water inside your pump and impeller assembly; here's the long version:
    http://www.parkeryamaha.com/cavitationinfo.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information