Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cyl. base gasket

I accidentaly ripped a cyl. base gasket on a 750 fuji. motor! I purchased aviation grade silicone that is heat resistant, fuel resistant, & oil resistant, I used a very thin layer to gasket at the rip & tourqed everything down !Now Im second guessing myself. Should I pull that cyl. & exhaust to replace or should everything seal up o.k.?
    Thanks Brian

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Do a leakdown test. That will tell you if the gasket is holding or not.

It will hold 10 psi., My concern is when the case is pressured up higher than 10 p.s.i , I have another gasket for cyl. I just didnt want to disturb new exhaust gasket. I think if I use copper coat on exhaust gasket it should seal up again. Any thoughts?

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    If it holds 10 psi, it is sealed. I wouldn't worry about it.

+1
    if either part is warped just a tad, it will leak after it expands from the hot weather n heat from the engine.. I'd put a new one, just in case, cheap insurance.. better than 899.00 for a engine.

remember if it doesnt leak, thats cool n all, but this engine is going to be running for you for a lot of hours in the future,, vibration wave bouncing could cause problems later.. how bad is the piece missing?

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    if either part is warped just a tad, it will leak after it expands from the hot weather n heat from the engine.. I'd put a new one, just in case, cheap insurance.. better than 899.00 for a engine.

remember if it doesnt leak, thats cool n all, but this engine is going to be running for you for a lot of hours in the future,, vibration wave bouncing could cause problems later.. how bad is the piece missing?
    There isnt a piece missing, Its a very clean tear, but all the gasket is still there! I wish I would have checked availability at polaris dealer on this gasket beforeI tourqed everything down. I didnt think they had one so I went for it then after second guessing myself I went down to dealer sure as hell they had one. I know that the correct thing is to replace. The only question left is in regards to exhaust gasket, its a new gasket , but I have installed and tourqed, can I use it again or should I get a new one? I havent half assed or worried about cost of rebuild up to this point & I dont want to start now. The objective on this boat is reliability.
    Thanks guys Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gasket 001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	191002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gasket 002.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	191003  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That tear I wouldn't even worry about. It's not even sealing anything vital, just around the mounting stud.

I wouldn't re-use any exh gaskets. Once thery're squished, that's really about it. You COULD try using the 3M copper spray and hope for the best. But new is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    That tear I wouldn't even worry about. It's not even sealing anything vital, just around the mounting stud.

I wouldn't re-use any exh gaskets. Once thery're squished, that's really about it. You COULD try using the 3M copper spray and hope for the best. But new is always better.
    Thank you xlnt89, thats was my understanding of how the exhaust gasket worked was once you tourqe & get the crush it was not reusable.I needed that confirmed. Sometimes Im not sure why I start a thread such as this I know the answer,So I just tie up server space. But Im new to this and want to get everything correct now that I have a decent amount of money tied up in this boat.Thanks for everybodys patience & assistance.
    Brian

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It never hurts to ask. But if you don't want to start a new thread for every little thing, you can PM people for a second opinion.

I don't think any of the "regulars" would mind a bit.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

gasket

that tear won't affect anything,ride more worry less

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information