Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Clutch Explosion

Well it looks like I waited one weekend too long to replace the ceramics in my 04 with metal ones. The ski was going along fine and then all of a sudden the SC whining just stopped and the ski is a total dog. I havent taken the SC off yet, but I am guessing this is the problem. I have a couple of questions for the experts:

The ceramics dont start slipping right, they just break?

Assuming they broke and went into the engine. I shut the ski off quickly (10-20 seconds) and got towed back to shore. Is this enough time for the pieces to get through the engine and in the two catch places? I want to make sure when I take off the pumps to clean, that all the pieces are there. I dont want to rebuild everything, and then have some of the pieces show up after that. As bad as it sounds, would it be better to run it a little to try and get all the little pieces trapped on the two screens before rebuilding?

I plan on sending the SC to get rebuilt by Jerry, would you guys recommend trying to clean up the two pumps myself or just bitting the bullet and taking it to a dealer. What should I expect for a dealer to check/clean the two pumps?

Thanks for your help!

+1
    The ceramic debris is already in your front pump screen. Since you didn't ride for any length of time after the failure i recommend just cleaning out the front screen. Changing the oil, run the engine for a few minutes. Check the front screen again and clean of any debris and do a final oil and filter change. You should be okay.

One more question Jerry:

After returning to shore, I fired it up just for a second to see if the SC whine might have returned. Like maybe it was just a freak occurance. Not the case. Does starting it just for a second after it has been sitting (towed) for about 20 mins change your recommendation? Will the debris still be only in the front pump?

Thank you very much for all the help you offer on this site, your a life saver!

+1
    You will be fine. In fact, the more i think about it. You should go ahead and pull off the complete pump assembly. You can do it with the engine still sitting in the ski. Go ahead and clean out the screen once you get the assembly out and remove the pump cover for inspection.

I am assuming I need to drain the oil before taking the pump off to avoid a mess in the hull?

+1
    Yes you do!

this is exactly why my ski had been sitting for a month......i dont want the next ride to explode when i have the metal washers in.....as hard as it is to not ride, i wont do it because my luck the cereamics will blow

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    the more I get lazy the closer I come to sending you the SC and washers Jerry...I just don't have the time and patience (or an ACCURATE Torque wrench). As a matter of fact, when/if we get them back from the gelcoat guy I think you'll have another SC to play with...

sean

+1
    Send it Sean, i'll take care of it.

Jerry, I would like to send my SC to you to either get rebuilt to 06 specs and your washers, or just your washers installed on my 04 shaft. The SC has 55 hours on it. What would you recommend? Also can you let me know where to ship it, etc. Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information