Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

really need help with vts

ok my vts worked fine last year. i took my ski out for the 1st time this year yesterday and the vts has quite working!!! it wouldnt be so bad but it is stuck all the way up so i cant get over 35 because all the ski wants to do is jump out of the water lol any ideas where to start for general trouble shooting for vts?

Quote Originally Posted by juggaloXPracer View Post
    ok my vts worked fine last year. i took my ski out for the 1st time this year yesterday and the vts has quite working!!! it wouldnt be so bad but it is stuck all the way up so i cant get over 35 because all the ski wants to do is jump out of the water lol any ideas where to start for general trouble shooting for vts?

Check your fuses. If good then remove the cover to the vts and check to see if you are getting anything to the motor. Remember it's bi directional. Hook your meter up to both terminals. Check it in both directions. +12v in one way and -12v the other. I would start with these two checks first. If you are getting power to the motor in both directions you know it's the motor. After that you will need to isolate whether or not it is the switch or the vts module. You can also remove the motor and bench test it by jumping power straight to it.

are the fuses in the gray box or the 2 in the black box?

+1
    are the fuses in the gray box or the 2 in the black box?
    That is hard to say since we have no idea what year/model you are talking about.

96 xp

+1
    The 7.5amp VTS fuse is in a fuse holder in the rear E-box on that machine. It will not look like a fuse but rather more like a plug-in connector. You pull the water proof (allegedly) cap off and you will see the fuse.

There is also a 15amp back there so if you pull the cap on one and it is blue, you need to go to the other one.

ok so i took the vts cover off and just for giggles i put the key in and pushed the down arrow on the vts control pad. the box is makin a clicking noise. is that a sure sign of anything? can the motors freeze up over the winter? because it worked fine last year

Is there any corrosion on the motor, if so it could be a bad motor. Take the motor out and test it directly on a battery to make sure it works. Sounds like it could be a bad motor or the fuse is blown or has a bad connection. Need to check all of these things out.

+1
    It will click with a blown fuse (the 7.5).

As a general rule, the motors do not go bad that often (depending on how long water, and if it was salt or not, sat in the box).

You can test the motor as indicated and if it is good and it is blowing the fuse (as it normally does) the box is bad.

ok so i took the vts cover off and just for giggles i put the key in and pushed the down arrow on the vts control pad. the box is makin a clicking noise. is that a sure sign of anything? can the motors freeze up over the winter? because it worked fine last year

I have the exact same issue with mine at the moment. I even went as far as to remove the motor, disassemble it, clean it and bench test it. When I reinstalled the motor, as soon as it hit the lower limit. It seized the motor and blew the fuse again.

Everything you have posted leads to the VTS module having a blown limit relay. When the motor gets to the end of the travel it draws too much current and cooks the fuse (exactly what the fuse is meant to do).

You are probably looking at replace that whole module from the sound of it. I went that route and bought one to replace it.

For the time being until you get one, you can remove the motor, adjust the trim to the pitch you want and then reinstall the motor. It will hold the nozzle in the proper pitch you adjusted it to and then just leave the fuse out of the holder. then you can still ride it until you get a around to getting a new one.

or if you're a electronics wiz and good with unpotting epoxy from circuit boards, you can try and replace the glass relay.

One thing to remember though is try to store the unit with the VTS in the middle position, so that it does not rest on the limits. Mine stuck in the down position, which made for some interesting riding when I realized it didn't work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information