Still have an unanswered engine flush question

My starter (yamaha 1100) quit on me while running in "SALT" water.
    I understand the bendix is a mother to replace and I won't have the time to fix it for a couple of months and need to do a fresh water flush.
    Can this be done without starting motor? -or- is there any possible way to start motor without using starter?

no motor must be running to flush the motor
    motor not running while water is on will lead to a water filled motor

Quote Originally Posted by macio View Post
    My starter (yamaha 1100) quit on me while running in "SALT" water.
    I understand the bendix is a mother to replace and I won't have the time to fix it for a couple of months and need to do a fresh water flush.
    Can this be done without starting motor? -or- is there any possible way to start motor without using starter?
    Engine have to be running when flushing. If you can turn the engine fast enough it will start. I dont see it happening without using some sort of custom made tool(s) and modification.

Sometimes the bendix just need to be free to get it going. Open the stator cover and try turning the bendix a few times and it might free up. Spray some lubricant on it also.

I would check the electronic connection before attempting anything else. It could be the starter, relay, kill switch or something as simple as a loose connection.

Flush question

Thanks for the suggestions. The ski is now in my garage and I am pulling stuff off of it so I can check the bendix. I feel that is the problem because the starter is spinning, but the engine only turns about 1/2 revolution at a time. Sure is hard to get at that bendix thing.... I'm taking off the top cover and gas tank today. Wish I was smart enough to invent some kind of gizmo to start, or at least turn over, jet ski engines without a working starter. Some kind of a flush adapter for engines that won't start would be even better.

Thanks for the suggestions. The ski is now in my garage and I am pulling stuff off of it so I can check the bendix. I feel that is the problem because the starter is spinning, but the engine only turns about 1/2 revolution at a time. Sure is hard to get at that bendix thing.... I'm taking off the top cover and gas tank today. Wish I was smart enough to invent some kind of gizmo to start, or at least turn over, jet ski engines without a working starter. Some kind of a flush adapter for engines that won't start would be even better.
    Have you check the battery to be sure it is good? Sound like the battery dont have enough power to turn the engine, bad starter, or bad cylinder.

The bendix will either work (engage) or dont (not engage). It will rarely fail in-between.

You dont have to remove the gas tank to remove the cover but removing it will surly give you more room to work.

Flush question

I hooked up a fully charged car battery and the starter still doing the same thing.
    I have everything off now, lots of room to work except I still need to take off the exaust so I can get to starter.
    I've already ordered a new starter in case this one is not any good.
    Thank you for the reply.

I hooked up a fully charged car battery and the starter still doing the same thing.
    I have everything off now, lots of room to work except I still need to take off the exaust so I can get to starter.
    I've already ordered a new starter in case this one is not any good.
    Thank you for the reply.

Depends on how big your arm/hands are, you don't really need to take off the exhaust. I replace my starter awhile back without removing anything else beside the starter.

Starter replacement

You the "MAN".
    I can't even see the damn thing with a mirror, guess if I had done it previously I may know where things are good enough to do it by touch.

Quote Originally Posted by spham View Post
    Depends on how big your arm/hands are, you don't really need to take off the exhaust. I replace my starter awhile back without removing anything else beside the starter.

Now that's a good trick. I wish I could figure out how to do that.

Replacing starter

ME TOO! I've taken off the front cover and the tank. I still feel like a contortionist or rubber-man trying to get at the starter. I'm scared to try and take off the exaust because the bolts may break off due to corrosion.

Thread Information