2000 SLX 1200 Spark Cut out

Hey fellas 2000 SLX 1200 will idle but no spark once throttle is applied? Is the brain box fried? This site is sooooooo awesome!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How do you know that spark is going away when the throttle is applied?

i'm thinking of buying it from this guy he told me thats what its doing. i asked myself the same question after the call. i read on here a post you had bout a service bulletin referring to all 2000 engines with some cd wire switch after the engine is warm? i read lots of your posts really helpful thanks so much!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xltsp8 View Post
    ...I read on here a post you had about a service bulletin referring to all 2000 engines with some cd wire switch after the engine is warm?...
    You are probably referring to a warm engine no-restart condition. That doesn't affect a running engine, only a re-start shortly after the engine has been shut down.

The problem with your engine could be an RPM limiter condition, usually triggered by an overheat sensor signal (possibly faulty) or Low oil or Low fuel.

The RPM limiter kicks in a specific RPM, and the engine power pulses on and off as the RPM rises and falls around the RPM limit.

More likely is that the carbs are internally clogged, as that 2000 engine from the factory would have the gray Tempo brand fuel lines (as did many years). The gray lines are known to create a greenish goop that clogs up the internal carb filters.

At a minimum, rebuild those carburetors and make sure they are 100% good. And replace ALL the fuel lines.

Click below for more info

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

You are the man thanks so much...ill prob pull the trigger the entire motor has been rebuilt top to bottom only wants 900 bucks...running nicely i could get least 2500 hundred out of it this time of year i've got fuel lines n filters laying around the garage...i've read it rides like the old SL's in rough water...will a ride plate n intake grate cure this for this hull? what other things should i check for when i take a look at it this week? This might be the second ski i've ever looked at got really lucky with my first ski didn't really know what i was doing.

+1
    The Ocean Pro 'O' ride plate is considered the best at reducing porpoising of the SL hulls.

The "R' version of the Ocean Pro ride plate is also quite good, but the longer O version produces the smoothest ride in rough water.

Smooth is a relative term. The SL hull has a fairly flat bottom, so it will always ride hard on 'big' water.

Thread Information