checking for boost leak

OK guys. I wanna check the system for a boost leak so I have a cap with air nozzle to inflate the system.

I want to put the air hose on the piping that comes out from the supercharger. Does the throttle body completely seal or will i have to put a cap on before the throttle body.

setup is 07 rxt, x waterbox and freeflow exhaust, with x-charger with pro series impeller, 82mm nozzle, riva gen 2 cooler, riva bov, riva ecu, 14/19 and turning 8260. 71.1gps with 10 psi boost. should be seeing approx 13lbs at 8550.

BTW also have some "swelling" of the intercooler which is a possible area for a boost leak.

Stephensville, La
    When I do a leak check I put a cap over the inlet to the supercharger with a fitting in it. Pull the j-pipe off and cap the exhaust manifold. Then hook up the compressor to the cap on the charger and pressure up till i get to 18 pounds on the boost guage. That way you check the whole intake system from the charger to the intake manifold.

Hmmm. Never thought about hooking up to the j-pipe cause that would indeed test the intake mani.

does the throttle body seal the intake manifold from the intake piping?

Stephensville, La
    no it doesn't seal.

well then gotta look for a cap so that i can cap off the exhaust manifold and then test.

Boost Leak Update

Tested for boost leak at piping to intercooler. Found a leak at the BOV (corroded open). Inflated to 12 psi and didn't find any leaks at throttle body or couplers.

Will put a plate on BOV opening and test on water.

I truly hope this is the only source of the leak.

Only getting 71.1 mph, 10 psi with x charger with riva pro series impeller, riva ecu with 50's @ 8250. X intercooler, x waterbox and free flowing exhaust. 14/19, 82mm nozzle. Ski is an 07RXT.

Any more suggestions?

Thread Information