Thread: Raider timing

Montreal QC

Raider timing

I have a question about the timing on my 61x Raider.

When I got my ski, the engine was in parts / blown-up, so a buddy and I put it back together, but what happened was it kept on running away, and the fuel system was 100%. The problem ended up being the timing on the stator not being correct. We pulled the flywheel, rotated the stator a bit and it ran fine after that.

For some reason, it kept on running away with the stator at the proper timing mark, so we moved it a bit more and it has been running for about 3 years now with no problems.

I don't know why this works, as the stock line up marks should have worked just fine. This was 3-4 years ago, and it had kinda slipped my mind.

I seem to remember turning it the same way the flywheel rotates, almost to the end. I think this would be retarding the timing.

The reason I'm asking is - will this cause any problems? Anyone else run into this issue? If I were to put an MSD ignition on, would this cause a problem, as it changes the timing?

Marlton, NJ
    The ONLY time I've seen a motor run away is either lean carb jetting or an air leak causing it to run lean. Not sure how adjusting the timing would keep that from happening but I could think of some theories.. Especially on a 701 cause they are pretty difficult to burn up, even when not tuned right.
    Here is a pic with advanced timing on a 701 motor. This is known as being a pretty simple, yet reliable mod for this motor. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03017.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	191113  

Thread Information