xp 96 787 battary light flashing,

took my xp out this weekend. first time ever and after about an hour i noticed the battary light started to flash and at the end of the day was on almost all the time...

were to start?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 306kev View Post
    took my xp out this weekend. first time ever and after about an hour i noticed the battary light started to flash and at the end of the day was on almost all the time...

were to start?
    thanks
    not to sound dumb, but... the battery? What does it read at rest with a meter? what does it read under load? while the engine is running? Is it old? are the connections tight? have you checked the ground on the engine?

Once those are ruled out, then you start checking things like your mag and stator and etc.

battery is brand new. theres always been abit of a delay when starting. but i just thought this was a lazy starter. and sometimes when u try and start it it doesnt turn over and resets the laynard. but always goes 2nd 3rd try.

thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    bad rectifier

+1. check fuses aswell. battery should be 12.2-12.5 volts b/f starting and 13.2-13.5 while running. If it aint ~rectifier~.....

i have unpluged the red wire on the rectifier and the battary voltage when running was 11.98 and when you rev it its still the same. with it pluged in the battery voltage was 11.98 so i have took off the front cover and took out the Stator plate this was full of like mud so im goin to replace this first.

i dont think its the rectifier because this only changes the volage from a/c to d/c and im getting no voltage at all

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    post a pic...this is interesting

Your problem is kinda similar to what mine did. The starting issues on yours are exactly the same as mine was and as you mentioned eventually the battery light came on after prolonged use. Mine ended up needing the stator replaced so I sent it out to get rebuilt. It came back and the ski worked well for a couple of runs. Only a couple of rides after the new stator it happened again. Over the winter I tore down the engine to see what was really going on and found that the crank bearings were destroyed and the mag cup was coming into contact with the stator. I may need another stator again. When I found out that I need a new crank, I built a roll-around cart for it, threw all the parts in a box and parked it for the last few years.

The crank doesn't show that the bearings are trashed if you grab it and try to get any play out of it, to know for sure the crank just simply has to be removed to see it. On mine, the bearing cages were totaled, I have no idea how but all the cage pieces were laying in between the seal and bearing race. As for the starting problems, I figure it was due to the crank being so far gone that it was allowing air in past the seals leaning it out too much and making for hard starting. Without tearing the engine down, there's no guarantee that this is your problem. But if you have the battery light issue again after trying everything else then you might have a crank problem too. The same time mine went, I watched another person's go too on a jet-boat with a 650 in it. Seems to be a common issue with BRP. '96 was a bad year for them, their Formula 3 triple cylinder snowmobiles were throwing cranks like crazy. Just something to keep in mind.

ok thanks. will do.

Thread Information