Thread: Too much oil?

Too much oil?

Changed the oil in my 2006 SCIC and was able to pull out a little over 3.5 qts. Changed the filter and had no major problems. But when I went to fill it back up it took all 4 qts to get it back to the middle. I did warm the engine up and checked the level with the boat level and it was in the middle of the two bends. Im not sure if I should pull out the half qt. Any thoughts?

Thanks Allen

I'm a noob here but I'll add a data point. I changed my oil 2 weeks ago and the level was at the top bend prior to changing. I pulled out 3.1 quarts. Since I thought I may have had a little too much oil previously I decided to add a little less.. just 2.9 quarts. After running, etc. the level is still right about the top bend.

You added 4 qts plus had residual prior to adding it... sounds like a lot to me.

Yes, so in theory theres just under 4 1/2 qts in there. Im going to recheck it this afternoon and most likely pull out 1/2 qt to be safe. I had a brain fart and kept adding after I checked the oil and it was at the lower bend.

You might have too much oil in there but i have to wonder if you were a half quart low to start with.

David I think you may be correct, I pulled out a 1/2qt and rechecked and it was just below the lower bend.

I added the 1/2qt back in and double checked that the engine was level and that it was warm. Again it was back in the middle of the two bends.

I think I am going to leave it, I dont see were the dip stick would lie to me.

The one thing I have learned from this is that I should have checked the level before I started. I was assuming that the level was correct.

Thanks for your input guys.

The most oil I can get out on an oil change is 2.5 qts and thats what I put back in and its always 1/2 way up the bump. Are you all checking oil level after a 30 second warm-up and then wait 30 seconds for the level to settle then check the dip stick? I'm able to turn 7,800-8 k rpms when I keep the level like this. I know 1/2 qt too much kills your rpms fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
    The most oil I can get out on an oil change is 2.5 qts and thats what I put back in and its always 1/2 way up the bump. Are you all checking oil level after a 30 second warm-up and then wait 30 seconds for the level to settle then check the dip stick? I'm able to turn 7,800-8 k rpms when I keep the level like this. I know 1/2 qt too much kills your rpms fast.
    Hmm.. since I pulled out 3.1 qts (and only put back in 2.9 qts), I wonder if I'm overfilled also. Oil level is at the top dipstick bend. What do you mean "half way up the bump"? Halfway up to the top bend/bump?

Yes, only 1/2 way to the top of the bend. If you over fill you will blow oil back into the intercooler and coat it. If you pull the elbow hose that connects the supercharger to the throttle body and see oil residue then you are overfilled for sure, but yea only fill the oil 1/2 way to the top of the bend.

Thread Information