What are the symptoms of an overly worn wear ring? (Or cavitation?)

Someone else was riding my 1050 this weekend and managed to suck a small piece of wood in to the pump. It managed to get caught on one of the impeller blades and was wedged between the impeller and wear ring. This was, of course, about 20 miles from the dock. It was running and idling fine in the water, but as soon as you would try to give it gas it would hit a point and just start reving up but not moving any where. We pulled it up to the beach and looked in the grate and pump and couldn't see anything. At that point I assumed the coupler or shaft had stripped out.

So, I limped it across the lake to the nearest ramp and left a few people behind to babysit (and not overload by buddy's boat for the trip back.) I hauled ass back on the hurricane and got the trailer.

When I got back, we pulled the pump and found our little wooden culprit. The wear ring had a shiny ring around it where the wood had been rubbing and the stator fins were all chipped and broken (although I assume this was from a previous owner as I had never pulled the pump off to check it.) The impeller clearance looked a little high but I figured it was good enough to run for the weekend though.

Back in the water, it seemed to be bogging big time. With one person it was a little hard to get it up on plane but would get there. With a passenger it did not want to go on plane at all. If I cycled the trim up or down it would get there and once it was on plane, it was fine. Speed and acceleration wise, it felt just like it did before the "incident"...it was just very difficult to get it up on plane.
    Compression was 120-118-120 which was where it's been since I bought it.

I put the good pump assembly from my 900 on it today but didn't have time to take it for a test ride....won't happen until next week. I'm just curious if these sound like symptoms of a worn pump or if I should be looking at something else.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds more like damaged impeller and stator blades than just excess blade clearance to the wear ring.

+1
    I know if the blades on the stator are broken or chipped, that causes cavatation and also loss of thrust from the blades being broken. And ,being unevenly broken off, that also contributes to a loss of thrust with vibration added.

i bet the blades on the impellor look fine but there bent, he changed the pitch! lol . you need to have the impellor checked for the correct pitch and get a new stator. possibly a wear ring if the fixed or new prop has more than 20 thous.. clearence thats the outer limit, you want it more like 2 thous..

water is being slung out to the outer diameter of the wear ring all the time and it just finds it way past that prop and that water doesnt produce thrust, it just washes past the baldes..

the stator produces thrust by swirling the water from the impellor out to a small exit housing that increases its speed.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Cavitation does yield poor performance out of the hole, but does manage to get up to speed.

Once you try the 900 pump, you'll know if that was it.

What impeller are you going to install?

Make sure the silicone seal between the pump shoe (intake) and hull is not compromised.

Check your driveshaft and engine coupler splines for damage. But, do NOT pult your finger into the coupler. If you have any metal splinters in there, you will get a unpleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Cavitation does yield poor performance out of the hole, but does manage to get up to speed.

Once you try the 900 pump, you'll know if that was it.

What impeller are you going to install?

Make sure the silicone seal between the pump shoe (intake) and hull is not compromised.

Check your driveshaft and engine coupler splines for damage. But, do NOT pult your finger into the coupler. If you have any metal splinters in there, you will get a unpleasant surprise.

These posts pretty much confirm it.

The 900 had a nujet 6.0 on it from the previous owner. That should be ok on the 1050. If that solves the problem, I'll run it for the summer.

Everything else looked fine....although I really should take a picture of the stator...it was pretty gnarly.

Thread Information