Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question for the ride plate gurus

I finally got around to testing my Jim's plate on my XLT yesterday and I am somewhat puzzled with the results. I made a couple passes first with my existing Island angle mod plate first to get a baseline. First pass was 68.5 @ 7140, second pass 68.2 @ 7120. Back to the boat hoist and on went Jim's plate. Next run was 69.1, backed up by a 68.8 both @ 7120. Good so far. Here's what puzzled me. The boat felt like it porpoised less with Jim's plate AND had LESS grip in the turns??? This is the plate with the center cut out and the sides left stock. My Island plate had the skags removed totally and was angle modded and gripped better in the turns? With Jims plate I felt like I could spin the boat like an old GTX?? I took an Island angle modded plate off my GPR and installed a Jims plate on it and the results were opposite. More porpoising, slightly less speed-maybe 1/2 mph, and MUCH better grip in the turns. Any thoughts.

+1
    you lost me at I! You may wanna break it down so its a little easier to follow!

+1
    You need to break each run down. Explain the water conditions, fuel level, rider position, temp etc. paragraph by paragraph.

It sounds like you got a baseline with the Island plate

Put on Jim's plate picked up speed and ski felt looser

Thats where it gets very confusing reading the post

i thought what you stated was clear as day....

in a nutshell, jims plate on your xlt gave slightly more speed but handling decreased. thats the opposite of what should happen.

perhaps you need the top secret jim xlt pump shoe that he speaks of but wont disclose any info on it?

you know what,,,my xlt rides just fine with the island full angle mod plate. i tried a group k plate, then a pro tec plate to see if the ride really got sacrificed with carls plate. i "thought" the boat felt great with the protec plate....but i lost like 4 mph with it over carls plate. put carls plate back on and now i cant stand the protec plate. in fact, it feels like it handles about the same...its a whale.
    Last edited by HopatcongGPR; 09-25-2006 at 03:45 PM.

As you tested carls plate can you please tell me where did you angle the plate? how many washers of carls did you put in front? and rear? This will help me understanding your results of what carls plate was doing for you. As far as jims plate not turning well was it just a bolt up plate with no washers? and if so how much step in the center did you have? Thats what is gonna give you your turning

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    hello 75 + So on the xlt you say my plate is .6 tenths faster than island racings skeggless plate and less porpoising, But does not grab on turns. The feed back that i been getting with the xlt's with the skeggs on and plate cut in between is that it hooks to well around turns and real good tracking. And you say on the gpr it hooks good but .5 mile slower than island racing and porpoise, If you are porpoising alot you will loose speed because of the front going up and down in the water. Make sure you have your sponsons stepped and if you do then put 50 thousand's shims on all the bolts in between the trim tabs, And also make sure you grind the pump and nozzle so when you tighten the plate it is not hitting on the pump and nozzle because it will warp the plate if it is hitting.Try that and feel free to give me a call if you have any question or need more help. Thank you, Jim
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 09-25-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks for the replies. To try and answer your questions, the runs were done only minutes apart (as long as it takes to change a ride plate) so the conditions (temp and waves) did not change. Fuel level was low-on the beeper. But this was the case for all runs as they were made back to back so to speak.
    Islands plate had 3 washers at the front while I used only two on Jims plate. However this put both plates flush with the hull at the front. No washers were used at the rear on either plate.
    Sorry I don't know the depth of the tunnel in the center of the plate, I will have to measure it. From memory I think it is 3/8" to 1/2" deep.
    BTW Hop you nailed it. I expected more precise turning from Jim's plate after using his GPR version. I felt with Jims plate my boat would spin if I turned sharp at say 30 mph. With my Island setup turning was never a problem. Not complaining just looking for feedback. I may call Jim tomorrow.

+1
    jim whats a flat botom shoe?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello r33pwrd, The stock xxl & xlt have a pump shoe that is a v shape on the bottom. When i say flat bottom shoe i am saying like the gpr's shape flat on the bottom.

Terry, on the XLT plate, if the top mounting surface of your "old version" mod 2 plate is machined to the "mod 4" specs, the 1/2 mph difference would be made up quite instantly.
    Plates with the side angles trued is just that-trued we have seen untrued plates vary from side to side with a 24* on one side and a 19* on the other--- plates that have the new mod 4 the side riding surface machined is an equal degree (trued) on each side from the machined center riding surface.

Terry give me a call today, i cant find your #

FORREST---CALL ME

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information