icatch trailer broke first day, my fault, wasn't difficult

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone using the icatch trailer. I finally took delivery of mine a few days ago. Yesterday I was finally able to hit the river and try it out. I boarded the ski and forgot to flip the front lever to unlock. I started the ski and pulled the handle to release and nothing. Thinking I just needed to pull harder I did and.. POP! I broke the cable right at the handle. It didn't take that much effort at all!

I still managed to get the ski off after manually pulling the cable from the front with my hands.

I have to say. My wife has always had trouble driving the ski onto the trailer with the river's current pushing her sideways. With the icatch trailer she came up a little sideways but the rails and walkway just "ping-ponged" her right up the rollers and CLICK! What a great trailer.. except for the weak release cable and easily forgoten lock lever!

The ski rides pretty well going down the road on the icatch. It isn't as soft over bumps as I was expecting from the new axle design but I don't see any signs of hull scraps from the rock hard rollers.

I didn't get a manual with my trailer so I'm not sure if there is one, but there should be a max load on the walkway. It is only plastic and bends about half an inch under my boney frame (147 lbs).

My dealer already called about the latest recall on this trailer. The safety cable for the front. They got ONE from seadoo already.

Anyway, just a heads up about this trailer. I'm sorry if I posted in wrong forum. I figured it was labeled made by Seadoo so I thought this was the right place. (the trailer is made by Karavan)

Take care

Thanks for the post. Interesting indeed.

What river do you ride?

icatch trailer broke first day, my fault, wasn't difficult

I ride the Kanawha and Elk river in Charleston, WV. My favorite place to hit around here is Summersville Lake.

Cool

Good post to remind everyone to double-check their fasteners before they launch. I like to do a walk-around the trailer before launching. Make sure the winch is unlocked, the rear straps are off and while I'm at the back, I make sure the plugs are in and tight.

Regarding the iCatch, I think that handle thing is really a cool idea! That would make launching by yourself even easier!

I think that Seadoo should have made the handle more like a car door. When locked from the front, you should be able to pull it all the way but nothing would happen. When unlocked, it would release as normal. That would be a good solution to avoid problems like the one you had.

Is it better to see the trailer when you're reversing? I find that my Triton aluminum trailer is great, but when reversing, I can't see the damn thing! Not a problem when launching, but when you have NOTHING on it and you're reversing down the ramp to recover, THAT is when I have problems... Its like its not even there! I would imagine that the iCatch trailer is better to see since its wider.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveKing View Post
    Good post to remind everyone to double-check their fasteners before they launch. I like to do a walk-around the trailer before launching. Make sure the winch is unlocked, the rear straps are off and while I'm at the back, I make sure the plugs are in and tight.

Regarding the iCatch, I think that handle thing is really a cool idea! That would make launching by yourself even easier!

I think that Seadoo should have made the handle more like a car door. When locked from the front, you should be able to pull it all the way but nothing would happen. When unlocked, it would release as normal. That would be a good solution to avoid problems like the one you had.

Is it better to see the trailer when you're reversing? I find that my Triton aluminum trailer is great, but when reversing, I can't see the damn thing! Not a problem when launching, but when you have NOTHING on it and you're reversing down the ramp to recover, THAT is when I have problems... Its like its not even there! I would imagine that the iCatch trailer is better to see since its wider.

Put a flag at the back of your trailer (4 or 5 feet high). That will allow you to see it the entire time.

+1
    There is a manual for the trailer. The dealer should have given it to you. My dealer didn't give it to me the first time I picked up my ski but after it fell off the trailer and he had to give me a new ski he also gave me the trailer manual.

Thread Information