Unhappy Upgrading my ski, any advice?

Hi guys, I recently bought my first ski a 2001 Yamaha GP1200R....as of right now it runs around 63 mph, soon I will be looking at making it go faster, I would like to get it to high 60's. My spending range is about 700 dollers, I dont make enough at my job to be able to go wild and make it a 70's 80's ski, but i would like it to go faster. The only aftermarket part on this ski is a Solas Concord Impeller and thats it. Any suggestions of what I should get done to it so I can beat my friends new 2010 14,000 Kawasaki? And also, 2 weeks ago I had this ski in the water and it would jump out of the hole and on plane in 2 seconds, now yesterday and today I took it out and for some odd reason it takes a few seconds just to get moving, I checked my intake grate and impeller and found nothing wrong, any ideas of whats causing this? I run 89 Octane in this ski BTW.

it may be cavatating, you may need to reseal the pump shoe & install a pump plug kit, available in the green hulk store!

Quote Originally Posted by cuda167 View Post
    it may be cavatating, you may need to reseal the pump shoe & install a pump plug kit, available in the green hulk store!
    Well first off I have no idea how to do anything mechanical wise so I may need to take it to the guy whom I bought it from, He has a cycle shop and works on skis for a living so it may be my best route, Id rather have it done right the first time. Have any suggestions on my performance upgrade question?

+1
    There are some great step by step directions on this site for doing just about everything. If you have to pay for all installation you will eat into your $700 budget real quick! Use the search button and I bet you see its something you can do yourself. After that I would try and find a nice used R&D 1200 intake grate (safer than stock) and then see if you can find a deal on a used Jims Rideplate, should get you near your goal and under the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    There are some great step by step directions on this site for doing just about everything. If you have to pay for all installation you will eat into your $700 budget real quick! Use the search button and I bet you see its something you can do yourself. After that I would try and find a nice used R&D 1200 intake grate (safer than stock) and then see if you can find a deal on a used Jims Rideplate, should get you near your goal and under the budget.
    Ok, yeah my original idea was to get a riva ride plate and riva intake grate, but I dont know which aftermarket parts are the best rated.

Thread Information