Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Trouble spinning XO impeller

Been having some the past few days. My max rpm has been 5480.

I have:
    Solas XO
    RIVA 150 psi head
    Flame Arrestors
    RAD valves
    Rebuilt the carbs using Stock Jetting with 1.5 N&S @ 48 psi popoff
    RIVA CDI on MOD 1 at 7600 max.

First it was my throttle cable wasnt adjusted properly, I only had 3/4 pull and I thought that was it but after adjusting it it still does it.

After it still wouldnt spin, I changed Plugs, tested all wires for spark and got spark. Checked compression and it was 150, 150, and 140ish on the rear cylinder.

After all that, I notice the new fuel hose (1/4") didnt have a good connection. It was dribbling out of most of the connections on the carbs. I replaced the fuel hose with the stock hose and it is alot tighter. I havent taken the ski out yet.

Do you think the loose fuel hose could be culprit? Is this compression issue? Is this a carb issue?

The only thing I have changed since last year is the new XO, the rebuild on the carbs, and the RAD valves.

+1
    Without a doubt a leaking fuel line could be the culprit, go run it and report back.

+1
    5480 max rpm after replacing the lines on the carb (the only lines I could see fuel leaking on). It still runs like poo! When i pulled it out I unscrewed the fuel cap to see if there was any pressure. No pressure at all in the fuel tank after 30 min. on the water.

I guess I am gonna go buy some clamps tomorrow. These zip ties just aren't gonna cut it. When I first put the carbs on and started it in my garage, i had TONS of pressue in the tank...it would pop the cap off at me when i unscrewed it.

Could anything else be causing this? Or does it seem like the leaky fuel line is it.

I took off the jetworks valve and rerouted all of the water lines to the way it was before to no effect.

+1
    Leave off jet works set up until you figure it out.
    I would check to ensure nothing is in the exhaust boxes etc..
    Spark heathly.? High RPM's shows weak links in the complete system..
    carbs are perfect sync?
    water leaking into cylinders?....what's the wash look like? You can take a minature light and put into cylinder at night to inspect wash..
    prop pitch could be way off....

I dont know why but I keep looking back at the 140ish in the rear cyl. Can you get compression numbers again. I dont see why you cant get 150 across the board.

I want to say thats the prob but at those compression numbers you should still see higher than 5400 or whatever.

+1
    Easy test to test out all small drama items....dump something small in there prop wise to see if the engine can spin to the rev limiter....ie 13/17 or so....borrow a pump/prop to see if it's something other then maybe an out of whack XO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Leave off jet works set up until you figure it out.
    I would check to ensure nothing is in the exhaust boxes etc..
    Spark heathly.? High RPM's shows weak links in the complete system..
    carbs are perfect sync?
    water leaking into cylinders?....what's the wash look like? You can take a minature light and put into cylinder at night to inspect wash..
    prop pitch could be way off....
    Not sure how to check for healthy spark other than doing the test per fsm for resistance. Carbs are synched. Dont know if i have a light small enough to get in the spark plug hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Easy test to test out all small drama items....dump something small in there prop wise to see if the engine can spin to the rev limiter....ie 13/17 or so....borrow a pump/prop to see if it's something other then maybe an out of whack XO
    Okay I am ordering some smaller ID fuel line. Just to make sure. But I will also try to the different prop.

Impros was supposed to true the XO to spec and put their finish on it. It very well may be out of spec though. I thought of this but couldnt fathom that they would mess up that much that i wouldnt even be able to spin it.

I have a 13/18 skat, would that work? Or i could also stick the stock impeller back on. Which do you think would work best for the test?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    I dont know why but I keep looking back at the 140ish in the rear cyl. Can you get compression numbers again. I dont see why you cant get 150 across the board.

I want to say thats the prob but at those compression numbers you should still see higher than 5400 or whatever.
    It seemed low when I tested it. So i let the battery charge and retested. The highest I got was around 142. This was with a warm engine and wet tested with a cap of oil in the cylinder.

+1

Wink

The low compression cylinder maybe the culprit, if the other 2 are 150 then something is wrong with 140. Under load its probably loosing more power and wont pull into the higher rpm range , check your head "o"rings .

Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    It seemed low when I tested it. So i let the battery charge and retested. The highest I got was around 142. This was with a warm engine and wet tested with a cap of oil in the cylinder.

That lil of drop on number 3 tells me either the ring didnt seat right or water injestion and rust formed on the sleeve. Pop the head and get some pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information