2004 GP1300 bogs down at WOT

Hello everyone! After a ton of searching on this site, I was hoping someone could lend a hand to a newbie.

Here's the situation. Recently purchased a 2004 GPR1300 with roughly 170 hours. Test drove in lake for 10 minutes...all seemed fine. Ski ran excellent.

During second run a day later, I began to noticed a bit of hesitation or bogging when launching from a start. This only seems to occur if I give it full throttle from a dead start. If the ski is doing 20 mph and then I give it full throttle, it's absolutely on point.

Ski is 100% stock and has been maintained by a very reputable local shop.

What are some things I should check for first? Could this be fuel related? Maybe a clogged fuel filter? I was going to do a basic tuneup right away. Plugs and wires, fuel filter.

Anything else?

+1
    no fuel filter or easily replaceable wires on this model

still have the catalytic converter?

Not sure why I said fuel filter in my original post Wires also look difficult to replace - I see that now. I purchased a set of new plugs, so I'll pull those today or tomorrow and report back.

I think I have the D-Plate installed, but I'm not quite sure how to tell. Is there an easy visible way to tell?

Thanks again for your reply!

+1

2004 GP1300 bogs down at WOT

Quote Originally Posted by kbaker13 View Post
    Hello everyone! After a ton of searching on this site, I was hoping someone could lend a hand to a newbie.

Here's the situation. Recently purchased a 2004 GPR1300 with roughly 170 hours. Test drove in lake for 10 minutes...all seemed fine. Ski ran excellent.

During second run a day later, I began to noticed a bit of hesitation or bogging when launching from a start. This only seems to occur if I give it full throttle from a dead start. If the ski is doing 20 mph and then I give it full throttle, it's absolutely on point.

Ski is 100% stock and has been maintained by a very reputable local shop.

What are some things I should check for first? Could this be fuel related? Maybe a clogged fuel filter? I was going to do a basic tuneup right away. Plugs and wires, fuel filter.

Anything else?
    Hey, that might be the normal bog when the waterbox is full from idleing for a little while and then you give it gas. The waterbox takes a few seconds to empty and feels like something is wrong and bogs down. Try running th ski, let off the throttle, and then hit full throttle right away. You should feel no bogging down here because your waterbox is still empty.

If that is the case and you don like the full waterbox bog you can put in a jetworks valve and problem is solved.

Update. Installed the D-Plate this past weekend. Far more work than I had anticipated, although I could do the install and remove now in about 2 hours if I had to. I'm going to drop it in the water this week to see how she rides. I never considered the waterbox being full as an issue. I'm racing side by side with another stock 1300r and a slightly modded 1200r and they're both off the line much quicker.

Thread Information