Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

99 slth 700 no spark on front cylinder

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping for some help on a weird problem. I have a 99 SLTH 700 - 2 cylinder. I dropped it in the water this weekend for the start of the season and it started and ran fine for a while. Then it started missing on one cylinder. By missing, i dont mean an occasional misfire, it would completely shut down the front cylinder for a minute or two, then take off and run fine for a while. As the weekend went on it got worse, more time on 1 cylinder and less time on two. It didnt seem to matter if it was hot or cold. I installed new plugs and now it will only fire the rear cylinder. When I take out the front plug it is still shiny silver, never fired. When I spin the engine with both plugs out and grounded, you can see the rear one fire and the front one not fire at all. Thatís as far as got before I ran out of time and had to head home. I have spent hours this morning reading thought the FAQs and how-tos on this site and they are excellent. I have a multi tester and the service manual, so next weekend I plan to pull the ski out of the water and do a lot of diagnostics, but I am curious if anyone has seen this 1 cylinder problem before or if anyone has any ideas. I searched around, but did not find any threads on 1 bad cylinder ignition problems. The only thing that is top of my mind is maybe a bad front spark plug wire or boot. Does anyone have any other thoughts??

Thanks for any help on this.
    Paul

+1
    take the plug boot off, cut the wire back 1/4 to expose new copper.. and screw plug boot back on wire.. re zip tie it and test for spark

thanks,
    re-doing that boot looks like my next step. I am thinking (hoping) that the fact that one plug is firing fine means its not something major like a stator, or CDI. Do you guys agree, or can a CDI go bad on 1 cylinder?

Also, thanks for the knowledge base page. I will read through it tonight.

+1
    what is the part number on the cdi?

i think the 99 twins still called for the updated ignition kit.. this comes with stator and cdi and i think coil pack(s). for around 300.

but do the boot thing first and check the part number on the cdi (in side the e-box)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like it is time to install the Ignition System Update Kit.

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Polaris domestic engine Ignition System Update Kits

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

All 1996-1999 two and three cylinder carburetor engines [excludes all 1999 1200(1165cc) engines]
    Kit part numbers 2873091, 2873022, 2873355, 2873356
    2873022 1996-1997 Hurricane and twin carburetor 1998-1999
    2873355 1996-1997 twin carburetor except Hurricane
    2873091 1996-1998 three cylinder 900cc and 1050cc engines
    2873356 1999 1050cc three cylinder engines only
    The original factory ignition in these 1996-1999 engines was not reliable over time, so Polaris issued ignition update kits.
    '...It WILL fail eventually...'
    Each kit includes an updated CDI module, magneto stator, and for the two cylinder engines a new Ignition Coil.

You can check whether you already have the update by checking your CDI part number.

Notes:

CDI part number 4010885, may actually be 4010447 (900 & 1050 Ignition Update Kit 2873091)
    Apparently the better choice for all 1996-1999 two cylinder engines is the Hurricane update kit 2873022

Note: Polaris changed the design of the stator housing cable exit hole circa 1999, so one of the reasons for the different stator models and update part numbers is so the replacement stator can directly fit into the original magneto housing you have. If you are mixing and matching stators and engines from different years, these part numbers will help you get the right combo to physically fit the housing and the stator cable seal.
    To utilize newer stators with 8 Pin Connectors on the outside of the electrical box with a pre-2000 electrical box;
    For the three cylinder engines, 2460875 is the short adapter cable that runs between the 8-pin stator cable plug and the electrical box insides (must use 4010170 stator, which has the mating 8-pin connector)
    For the two cylinder engines, 2460718 is the short adapter cable that runs between the 8-pin stator cable plug and the electrical box insides (must use 4010172 stator, which has the mating 8-pin connector)
    Info gleaned from Jay's old posting over here

Once you install the ignition update kit, you must use 2000 and later Service Manual specs when diagnosing the ignition system and stator coils.

How do I tell whether I have an updated or original type domestic ignition?
    What does a non-updated two cylinder Ignition coil look like?
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

I got some time to work on this over the weekend. I tried the cut the sparkplug wire trick, no help. After that I tied a straight through (no resistor) spark plug boot. That worked for a while, then failed. I think the spark is just too weak. The CDI is part # 4060148.
    So my guess is I need the upgrade kit. I think I need kit # 2873022. Is this correct (99 SLTH 700 2 cyl)? Any suggestions on where to buy the kit? How about where to find a flywheel puller?
    Thanks for any help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls slth View Post
    ... I think I need kit # 2873022.
    Is this correct (99 SLTH 700 2 cyl)?

Any suggestions on where to buy the kit?

How about where to find a flywheel puller?

Thanks for any help!
    That is the correct Ignition System Update Kit part number.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

thanks for all the help!! I installed the kit and the ski is running great. I have a tip for anyone doing this - Autozone has a free loaner harmonic balancer puller that fit and worked perfectly for pulling the flywheel. The Autozone part number is 27019.

I do have a question though... the kit came with a short pigtail cable and I have no idea what its for. It has a double connector on 1 end and 2 single wires leading to spade connectors on the other ends. The 2 wire colors are blk/grn and yel/red. There is also a black wire loop around the 2 wires. I can post a picture if that would help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	203367

Thanks everyone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls slth View Post
    thanks for all the help!! I installed the kit and the ski is running great.

I have a tip for anyone doing this - Autozone has a free loaner harmonic balancer puller that fit and worked perfectly for pulling the flywheel. The Autozone part number is 27019.

I do have a question though... the kit came with a short pigtail cable and I have no idea what its for. It has a double connector on 1 end and 2 single wires leading to spade connectors on the other ends. The 2 wire colors are blk/grn and yel/red. There is also a black wire loop around the 2 wires. I can post a picture if that would help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	203367

Thanks everyone.
    My understanding is that the same ignition update kit is also used for some Polaris land/snow vehicles, and that extra part is only used for those engines, not the PWC.

His problem was most likely the halifax sensor for that cylinder in the stator. Somebody that needs a CDI box could possibly try his, as I bet it still functions correctly..

I have about (20) of those jumper wires.. Never found an application for them..

Randy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information