Blew up Piston, next steps...?

2004 - GP1300R, 185 hours, northeast salt water riding.

I was out two weekends ago for the seasons initiation run (I let the ski warm up for about 10 minutes in the water at idle before opening her up). As I noticed when I started the ski up a few days earlier, the throttle was sticky; I figured it would just need a few minutes to work itself out. The throttle got stuck at WOT, I suspect the ski sensed this and went into limp mode as a safety. I turned it off and restarted, all was fine after the throttle loosened up. (I think this is unrelated to the following but who knows...?).

I continued riding for about 15 minutes and all was fine. Then as I was WOT the ski randomly just shut off. Turned it back on and got code #64 - Servo malfunction. I took a quick look at the servo motor and noticed it was acting funny. Due to lack of time to properly diagnose the problem, and my eagerness to ride memorial weekend, I ordered a new servo presuming the servo motor went dead (yes, I know, foolish).

Put the new servo in and realized it didn't fix the problem. I opened the YPVS ports and thought the valves were gunked causing stickiness thus not allowing the servo to move properly. Cleaned them out still to no avail.

Long story short, I concluded that the rear YPVS valve was not closing all the way as it should so I took of the head to discover damage to the piston and assembly (see pictures below).

From initial assessments, it looks like some shrapnel (I am not exactly sure from where) was clunking around in the chamber, causing damage to the piston and the bore, along with dents to the head.

I know this situation raises a lot of questions. Is this normal for a ski with my hours (i.e. standard wear and tear) or is it something else? I need to figure out the best way to diagnose the cause / root of the problem and to fix the damage. I have a few routes to fix the damage; I can rebuild the engine myself, from what I understand I should rebuild the engine since shrapnel likely entered the crankcase ( not sure I want to spend the amount of time necessary to do so, or the experience for that matter). Or, I can order a new engine (from SBT? - ~$2K) and drop it in.

Apologies for the long winded story, any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00335.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	191260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00336.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	191261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00337.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	191262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00338.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	191263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00339.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	191264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00340.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	191265  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00341.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	191266  

Looks like your Valve drooped into piston. Take out the jug and inspect the crank really good, don forget to check the reeds and you should be ok replacing the jug and piston.

+1
    From the damage to the piston and exhaust port, it looks like you caught a ring on the port.

+1
    If you have to rebuild it your self its really not that bad. Any here can walk you through it. An besides you can probably save 600-800 bucks.

At this point my concerns are two fold --
    a) What is the reason this randomly just happened?
    b) What measures do I take going forward to ensure this doesn't happen again?

That being said, with regards to:
    a) Why did the valve drop, ring catch the exhaust port, etc.? I should have stated earlier that from a visual inspection of the YPVS valve, there seems to be no impact marks one would expect if it was struck by the cylinder.
    b) I am now concerned there is shrapnel in my crankcase. If possible, how do I properly clean out the shrapnel without having to take the motor out and apart?

Lastly, torquenut3, when you say "inspect the crank really good" how do I do that while the motor is still in the ski? Are you referring to a simple visual inspection?

+1
    There is a pin in the ring groove that keeps the rings from spinning. The reason you don't want the rings to spin is so that the ends do not get caught in the exhaust port. That could be what happened to your ski.

You will have to pull the engine and tear it down to see the extent of the damage.

Same thing happened to mine at 100hours on the same cylinder, ring caught the exhaust port. Not sure why it happens but seems to be a fairly common issue with these engines

Quote Originally Posted by 04GPR View Post
    At this point my concerns are two fold --
    a) What is the reason this randomly just happened?
    b) What measures do I take going forward to ensure this doesn't happen again?
    Good questions....

There is a pin in the ring groove that keeps the rings from spinning. The reason you don't want the rings to spin is so that the ends do not get caught in the exhaust port. That could be what happened to your ski.
    Does this pin fail due to wear and tear? Does it vibrate out of place?

Thread Information