Rebuilding Seadoo Rotax 717 720

I've have my engine out and the jugs were sent out to have them machined. I was advised to crack the crankcase and change out th seals and inspect it for issues. I need to know if there is a sticky covering this. I have the shop manual to guide me but I want to know what the difficulty level is putting it back together, setting the timing, and pulling the pto and flywheel and reinstalling them. Does this process require any speciality tools? and advise would be greatly appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stupedaso View Post
    I've have my engine out and the jugs were sent out to have them machined. I was advised to crack the crankcase and change out th seals and inspect it for issues. I need to know if there is a sticky covering this. I have the shop manual to guide me but I want to know what the difficulty level is putting it back together, setting the timing, and pulling the pto and flywheel and reinstalling them. Does this process require any speciality tools? and advise would be greatly appreciated.
    not sure about the seals...ive never rebuilt a 720. taking the PTO off requires a socket with splines like the driveshaft have on them or a pipe wrench will do...just take out the grease zerk before you do. the flywheel just needs a puller. it has a keyway there and flywheel is pressed on i believe.

setting the timing is pretty easy. at the top of the 2 stroke page there is a sticky with the timing wheel you can print off to set it.

if you are any kind of a backyard wrench id say this is about a 3?

be careful removing the engine off the mounts, note how many shims go where if not you'll throw off your engine/pump alignment.

+1
    The shims are often under the mounts and do not come off when the engine plate does.

The PTO is a PITA to get off of a 717. Airborne is right in that you need a prop tool. You will also need a propane torch as you need to heat the crap out of it to get it to break loose. I know one guy who uses a 4 foot long piece of pipe on a .5inch breaker bar and he jumps on the end of it. You need the engine (and the crank) to be properly secured to do this, of course.

The timing is fairly straight forward on that engine. There is an index mark on the Mag that needs to line up with the mark on the front housing (you will see this when you get the front flywheel off). I have never had one be "Off" when indexed correctly.

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    The shims are often under the mounts and do not come off when the engine plate does.
    you just answered my question ha

i was gonna say, cause when i removed my 787 i never removed the MMs or shims....simply unbolted mounting brackets from mounts...

Thread Information