Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Oxygen Sensor Removal

My oxygen sensor decided to die and I need to change it out. I have the rest of my ski back together and where I want it. Now I need to change out the oxygen sensor but can't find the right tool to remove it. It looks like I need a 1" wrench cause the 3/4" doesn't fit. Also, it is very tight down there. What is the correct tool and how the F do I get it out? I did not install it so that would explain why I don't know how to get it out. Also, is it counter clockwise to remove? I believe I have the R&D adaptor.

I think I have been using a 6 inch cresent at an angle. Before that I used an O2 sensor socket to remove the sensor (which rubbed against the rectifier).

Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    My oxygen sensor decided to die and I need to change it out. I have the rest of my ski back together and where I want it. Now I need to change out the oxygen sensor but can't find the right tool to remove it. It looks like I need a 1" wrench cause the 3/4" doesn't fit. Also, it is very tight down there. What is the correct tool and how the F do I get it out? I did not install it so that would explain why I don't know how to get it out. Also, is it counter clockwise to remove? I believe I have the R&D adaptor.
    It is 22 mm that is standard for all O2 sensors. I split socket is made to make removal easy. You will need a wobble extension to get around the regulator.

+1
    when you reinstall the new one, do you just screw the new one in or do you have to seal it up at all?

+1
    I agree with you ercBOOSTED--kinda tight down there.

I posted the same question as you when I did mine and never really heard anything back that worked for me. I believe I screwed the sensor into the adapter and then tightened the adapter as much as I could by hand then a bit more with an adjustable wrench like Biz was saying at an angle.

My opinion is that it doesn't have to be gorilla-tight--mine wasn't and it seems fine after a tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    I agree with you ercBOOSTED--kinda tight down there.

I posted the same question as you when I did mine and never really heard anything back that worked for me. I believe I screwed the sensor into the adapter and then tightened the adapter as much as I could by hand then a bit more with an adjustable wrench like Biz was saying at an angle.

My opinion is that it doesn't have to be gorilla-tight--mine wasn't and it seems fine after a tank of gas.
    I don't think I has to be super tight either, snug should do it.

when you reinstall the new one, do you just screw the new one in or do you have to seal it up at all?
    I put some antiseize on the threads just in case. Usually the sensor will already have some on its threads.

+1
    Sounds good. I'll give it a go today.

+1
    Cut a slot (wide enough to feed the wires thru) in the end of a ring spanner (like a pipe spanner) that fits the adaptor and cut the handle off to suit (so you can turn the spanner around without hitting the side of the hull).

Sorry, don't have a pic but works a treat.

+1
    Got it off fairly easy with a crescent wrench 6". The only problem now is that the piece that you screw the oxygen sensor into before you screw it into the exhaust came out with it. How the hell do I get it off of there? I don't want to break it. Is there a way?

Got it off fairly easy with a crescent wrench 6". The only problem now is that the piece that you screw the oxygen sensor into before you screw it into the exhaust came out with it. How the hell do I get it off of there? I don't want to break it. Is there a way?
    I rapped a rag around the thread on the plug and then placed it in a vice. I was lucky enough to then be able to unscrew the oxy sensor.

Next time I fitted the plug I used a liberal amount of Red locktite on the plugs thread and left it installed over night before I screwed in the oxy sensor. I put anti seize on the sensor and have taken since taken it out three times and the plug stayed in the manifold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information