cleaning fuel system

i am doing some fuel system maintanance on my 96 waveraider 1100. it was running good last year and i am pulling the carbs off and cleaning the filters in them. is it ok to just clean the filters without rebuilding the carbs or is it recomended to go ahead and rebuild them? also when i pulled them off there is a nice size pool of fuel under each carb in the manifold. what is the cause of this as i am sure it is not normal? i have not ridden it yet this year only ran it shortly on the hose. thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1074.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	191331  

Quote Originally Posted by raider 1100 View Post
    i am doing some fuel system maintanance on my 96 waveraider 1100. it was running good last year and i am pulling the carbs off and cleaning the filters in them. is it ok to just clean the filters without rebuilding the carbs or is it recomended to go ahead and rebuild them? also when i pulled them off there is a nice size pool of fuel under each carb in the manifold. what is the cause of this as i am sure it is not normal? i have not ridden it yet this year only ran it shortly on the hose. thanks for any help.

I would rebuild the carb if it has not been rebuild within the past 3 years or any of the seal, gasket, rings, diaphragm, etc are worn/torn.

As for the fuel in the manifold could be any or both of the problems below:

1: fuel pump need to be replace/rebuild (check valve)
    2: Carb needle valve not seating correctly

Fuel will be siphon from fuel tank/ line with issue above. Engine will run lean if fuel pump is bad.

I just had a closer look at the pictures. Is the fuel, water, oil, of a combination of all? That is alot and you need to get it out ASAP.

it is fuel in the manifold and maybe a little oil possiblly. the oil pump is still hooked up and it smokes a lot out of water.

i pulled the covers from the carbs today to get to the filters and one was nearly half full of crud (front carb) but the other two were not bad at all. i did notice at least acording to the manuel that i have parts missing from that side. all three carbs are missing #'s 21-25 from the manuel. does anyone know why these could be left out or is there something i am missing? maybe this is why there is so much fuel puddled in the manifold. the engine compartment has always had a really strong fuel smell. any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by raider 1100 View Post
    i pulled the covers from the carbs today to get to the filters and one was nearly half full of crud (front carb) but the other two were not bad at all. i did notice at least acording to the manuel that i have parts missing from that side. all three carbs are missing #'s 21-25 from the manuel. does anyone know why these could be left out or is there something i am missing? maybe this is why there is so much fuel puddled in the manifold. the engine compartment has always had a really strong fuel smell. any help is appreciated.

There should only be a strainer and a o-ring on the strainer side (fuel hose in and fuel hose return).

If you are missing:
    Strainer Side
    21: O-Ring (will cause fuel leak)

Diaphragm Side
    22: Screw (never really know what this screw does)
    23: Low speed jet (fuel isn't restricted, engine running too rich)
    24: Needle plate (cause needle to not seat properly, wrong pop off pressure, fuel leak)
    25: needle arm pin, im guessing there isn't any arm or spring also (cause needle to not seat properly, wrong pop off pressure, fuel leak)

I would rebuild the carbs, fuel pump, new fuel line and filter. I could not see how the ski was running great for you last year if those parts were missing. There should not be any missing/wrong parts inside the carbs.

well, at least i thought it ran good. started right up idled good and pulled very strong with no hesitations but i also have nothing to compare it to because i bought it this way. i just hope the pistons are not damaged now from running it with a incomplete fuel system.
    also thanks for the help spham.

Thread Information