New Stx 900 1997 owner

I got it cheap with a trailer. The previous owner stated it ran great and has no problems, etc. I checked the compression and all 3cyl are about 100 -102. It looks to be in good shape but have no idea of the hours. How low should it be before needing a top end job. At some point if the compression is to low would the fuel pump quit pushing enough fuel since they run on pulses from the engines. The plugs look really good, fairly dark and even. and inside the carbs are very clean. All the accell pumps work good and the oil injection system seems to be working properly. I disassembled the water separator and it was dry? no water or gas in it. just a little white powder in the bottom of it. Its has been sitting since last summer. I thought fuel would flow through this then towards the carbs. It just has the one way valve before the separator then a hose which runs out of it inside the hull just hanging there??? Is this right. It was stored with marine stable in it so I am hoping the carbs are ok since the plugs looked so good also. Rebuilding the carbs would not be a big deal but i would rather not do work that is not needed.The engine mounts seem tight. I disassembled the rear of the jet pump and removed the cone. There was a little water like 3-4 drops and a little bit of water on the bearing and white looking grease. Water and grease from the bearing probably. The pump spins fine but the rubber dust sheild of the rear bearing is blistered most likely from heat from the bearing running with water in it?? Should I rebuild it or just shoot some greese in there and see how long it runs. I could disassemble it and put oil in there and reassemble. I head of someone switching from grease to oil? I think the previous owners lived at the lake so it prob sat in the water a lot. If i take out the 4 pump bolts will the pump just slide off a splined shaft. Then i would just need a vice and the prop removal tool? I had a seadoo xp before but was looking for some opinions on what to do. Thanks
    Last edited by boosted321; 06-01-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling

I got the pump off and took out the impellar. Do the bearings and seals come out the front side of the pump? The rear has white looking grease in the bearings but no rust and spins smooth. I can't get the black rubber seal at the top out. Will I have to destroy it to take it out. What order does everything come appart? I need some imput.

I got the pump off and took out the impellar. Do the bearings and seals come out the front side of the pump? The rear has white looking grease in the bearings but no rust and spins smooth. I can't get the black rubber seal at the top out. Will I have to destroy it to take it out. What order does everything come appart? I need some imput.

Well the I got the pump out. I cleaned out the bearings the best I could. The front oil seal and bearing was in there pretty good so I just left it and pulled the dust seal out of the back of it from the cone side with some pliers. I figured I would destroy the oil seal to get the front bearing out. There was no rust in there and they spun freely. I put a new o-ring on the cone and reassembled the pump and filled it with 80-90 synthetic gear oil. Because I left the dust covers off I filled the pump with it completely assembled. I filled the cone about halfway, then flipped it onto the pump assembly to get some more oil in there. I was thinking of tapping a fill plug so the pump could be serviced kind of like a seadoo but its not that much more trouble to pull everything. I guess I saved 60 bucks by skipping the bearing kit but we will see how long it lasts. I feel better about a little water getting in there with a few ounces of oil rather than a bit it grease in a sealed bearing.

Question

I started it on the hose today. Took a lot of cranking but once it started it was fine. It smoked a lot. Is that normal??? I noted a lot of water in the bottom of the hull. It looked like most of it was coming from the bottom of the pipe below the fuse box area. Are there any fittings that could leak in that area. It looks to be coming from the very bottom and I think I saw a little smoke also. I am thinking since it was not winterized that all the water at the bottom of the piped cracked it. Is this common??? I can take the pipe out and weld it if thats the. case. It was leaking a lot, like a gallon a minute or more but very little smoke, almost none. I could not hear any exhaust leak but idk what else it could be. What are the best steps to taking the pipe off. Move the fuse box and pull the pipe out. What are the chances of needing new gaskets. As far as I could see it was not leaking water from any of the barbed fittings or hoses. Can any damage be caused by water left in the stator cooling lines near the oil pump. Someone help me out.

Cool Found the leak.

I pulled the pipe off this morning; I had to move the electrical box and all of the rest of the exhaust piping and hoses out first. I left the tuned pipe in. The gasket looks good where it came out so I guess I will give it a shot putting it back without buying a new one. Looks like the water that was left in the bottom of the expansion pipe froze and split about a 1 inch sliver and it was poking out at the bottom so mostly water not exhaust was coming out of it. I hammered the piece flush and I guess I will try to have it welded. Hopefully there will be no more issues. Worst case I guess I would have to buy another expansion chamber.

Thread Information