2007 Gp1300R Bogging

Hey there all - short time lurker, new member!! I appreciate all the insight around here - you guys have already helped out on a few things.

I was hoping to get a little help on a "bigger" issue that I can't figure out... I've been searching on this topic, and it looks like I have a LOT of reading to do! I was hoping someone can help me shortcut the ancillary reading and / or save me a little time... I picked up a couple skis - both yami's. The GP1300R is bogging very badly - RPM's go up with a pull on the throttle, but the ski sputters and pops - the RPM increase just doesn't match the throttle pull; it accelerates slowly, but it's just not right. If I go full throttle, there's a slight hesitation (while it bogs for quarter of a second), then WOT no problem. To me, it seems like engine management is kicking in - like it detects knock and retards the timing / engine?? or doesn't have the AFR right?? I know that engine management changes what it does at WOT, but I'm not sure what would change to stop the bogging besides the AFR...

I picked up the ski's after last season was over, so I didn't get to ride them until this year - I don't know if this issue existed before winter storage. I put stabil in, fogged the engines, winterized them myself, and stored them in a garage (no heat). When I found the issue, I changed the plugs but they looked to be in great shape - the right color, no signs of detonation or fouling, etc. I guess it could still be bad gas - I mixed in fresh gas, but there was still some of the old stuff left. I don't see any "white" steam, so I don't think it's water in the gas... but since the original owner says the "hesitation" has been there from the beginning, I don't think it's just one tank of bad gas... I don't have the tools to do a compression test, and I don't have the YES software, so I'm at a bit of a loss... The guy I bought them from said the hesitation at WOT has been there from day 1 and the dealer said it was "normal"; I really think this guy didn't know any better and just used the ski at WOT all the time, thinking the "bogging" was because it was a performance machine??

Any of you guys got an idea on this one? I know this is wishful thinking, but are there any known issues with these that I just haven't found via my searches? Or are there any suggestions on how to narrow my search a little better?

I'd appreciate any help!!

+1
    cat converter could be blocked check it out while your there install a D plate

Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    cat converter could be blocked check it out while your there install a D plate
    Thanks for the answer - I hadn't run across that one yet!! From what I've found so far, I have to check for:

• bad / fouled plugs (already checked)
    • bad gas
    • clogged flapper
    • loose exhaust connections
    • clogged cat converter
    If it's not one of these, I need the YES software to see if I have a bad injector, cylinder, etc.?

Does this sound right so far?

+1

2007 Gp1300R Bogging

Quote Originally Posted by tshooter67 View Post
    Thanks for the answer - I hadn't run across that one yet!! From what I've found so far, I have to check for:

• bad / fouled plugs (already checked)
    • bad gas
    • clogged flapper
    • loose exhaust connections
    • clogged cat converter
    If it's not one of these, I need the YES software to see if I have a bad injector, cylinder, etc.?

Does this sound right so far?
    Could just be the nature of the Gp1300r beast without a jetworks valve?

Do you have this bog problem after idleing for a little while upon your first full throttle acceleration? Then it goes away when your quickly on and off the throttle. Because that is normal for a stock gpr as the waterbox fills up when idleing and needs to empty as you accelerate.

Solution is to add a Jetworks valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    Do you have this bog problem after idleing for a little while upon your first full throttle acceleration? Then it goes away when your quickly on and off the throttle.
    No, it bogs like this cold or warm. It only runs normal at WOT, and then it does run normal! I could be at 30 MPH (bogging along), hit the accelerator to WOT, and it almost rips my arms off (after a few seconds of bogging, of course). I ran it for over 30 min, and it still ran the same...

australia where else would you want to be
    did you work out the problem man ? mine is bogging when i land from jumping a wave

Thread Information