Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage 800 DI fuel pump question

Hey folks, quick question for you all.

I got a 01 SLH with a 02 virage 800 DI engine in it. Im still running the stock tank from the slh but was running the 800's pump as a inline, well after 2 years like that it crapped out on me.

Anyone know what kinda pressure im needing. Looking at installing a inline with a fuel regulator but seem to be getting mixed numbers (between 20-30psi)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Please post up some photos of your SLH with a fuel injected engine. I have been thinking about retro-fitting a Polaris fuel injected engine into an SL or Pro hull

How did you fit the electric fuel pump from the fuel injected Virage into the SLH fuel tank?

If you really were running the stock Ficht fuel pump, often the pressure regulator falls out, and can be fixed.

Stock Ficht fuel pressure is about 23PSI, give or take, measured in the return fuel line after the injectors. In the Ficht system, the pressure regulator is at the end of the fuel circuit, after the injectors.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

How to repair a Ficht fuel pump - pressure regulator has fallen inside
    Symptoms include very low fuel pressure, rough running above idle, engine surging, and lack of power above idle.
    Red light and 'Check Engine' message typically appear on the display.

Have to get some pics for you

I was running the stock virage pump, only the pump part taken out of the sending unit as a inline, Just ordered a new inline pump and fuel regulator so hopefully does the trick.

Also the virage ran the 12 pin MFD which i dont have. Can i run a 8 pin on this motor or is there something im missing, have been told that it wont work with a EFI motor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie` View Post
    Have to get some pics for you

I was running the stock Virage pump, only the pump part taken out of the sending unit as a inline, Just ordered a new inline pump and fuel regulator so hopefully does the trick.

Also the Virage ran the 12 pin MFI which I don't have.

Can i run a 8 pin on this motor or is there something I'm missing?
    I have been told that it wont work with a FFI motor
    The stock fuel pump doesn't have a hose barb on the fuel inlet side, so how were you using it as an inline fuel pump?

Where/how did you mount the pressure regulator?
    Inside the tank?

Are you using the stock Virage i fuel injected wiring harness?

What did you do with the MFI security circuit connection?

Are you using the Virage i Start/Stop module?

The 12-pin MFI display and the 8/12-pin MFD display have very similar wiring, but use different pin number connections at the display.

You can see the differences in the text file attached to this web page;
    Multi-Function Display (MFD)
    Also MFI and NGI displays
    The main differences between MFI and MFD displays;
    - The MFI has a Check Engine lamp function, while the older MFD type displays do not.

You can connect a separate LED lamp between power and the Check Engine signal wire.

Or you can find a way to mount a full size MFI display somewhere on the SLH

- The MFI provides an Reverse indication display

- The MFI provides a security code Start button lock-out

- Some MFI models include a Magnetic compass, PERC electric reverse position indicator, and one version can display depth from an optional depth sensor.

The stock pump was modified on the inlet side to accept a barbed fitting. It was crude but got the job done.

As for the security circut it is just running the grounded out Starter solenoid enable wire.

I should also probably point out I did not build this machine, it was purchased after the swap.

Now i've had to order a higher pressure fuel pump as i coulden't seem to find a fuel pump in the 30psi range. I have a universal regulator off a auto but its ment to be used on the return side of a fuel rail. Can it be used inline or can anyone point me in the right direction for something that will work better.

+1
    The stock pump was modified on the inlet side to accept a barbed fitting. It was crude but got the job done.

As for the security circuit it is just running the grounded out Starter solenoid enable wire.

I should also probably point out I did not build this machine, it was purchased after the swap.

Now i've had to order a higher pressure fuel pump as i couldn't seem to find a fuel pump in the 30psi range. I have a universal regulator off a auto but its meant to be used on the return side of a fuel rail.

Can it be used inline or can anyone point me in the right direction for something that will work better.
    The fuel pressure regulator for Ficht must be in the fuel return line from the injectors back to the fuel tank. The injectors need to be pressurized.

Why didn't you just repair or replace the original Polaris fuel pump, rather than re-engineering it with an external fuel pump?

I would be concerned about possible fuel leakage inside the hull. The entire fuel system must be able to withstand the hull pounding over the water, without developing any leaks or breaking anything. Fuel fumes inside a PWC hull can be very dangerous.

would of loved to use the stock fuel pump setup but problem is im running the stock SLH fuel cell

+1
    would of loved to use the stock fuel pump setup but problem is im running the stock SLH fuel cell
    Make sure everything is REALLY well supported inside the hull.

Would love to see photos of how it all fits in the SL hull

looks like im gonna have to find a lower pressure pump, Tried every possible way i can think of mounting the regulator and it seems to be putting to much pressure to the injectors still.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information