94 Polaris SL750 No Power??

We recently purchased a 94 Polaris SL 750 from our neighbor down at the lake for our kids to ride. While familiar with our FX Cruiser, I am not up to speed on this bike yet. It ran great for 2 hrs this past weekend then just just stopped running. It starts fine and idles fine, but will not accelerate when you hit the throttle even though you can hear the engine rev (goes about 5mph). Pulled it up on the lift and looked underneath around the ride plate to look for debris..nothing found on visual inspection. Thought that may be the problem since lake level was up and alot of debris was on the water this weekend. The question I have is should I be looking somewhere else or for something else?? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I will be back down at the lake this weekend.

Tony

+1
    welcome to the hulk.

the motor revs but does not go any where?

sounds like your drive shaft is spinging insde your coupler

remove the drive shat and inspect both the drive shaft end and inside the pto coupler..

also click the link in my sig for info and do some reading on your machine..

Hey...Thanks for the Links and helpful info!! I know the previous owner and was quite happy with it when we got it because I know how it was babied! That is why this was surprising because it ran like a tank for 2 hours straight, but then this happened when my wife was on it, so I am not sure of any noises or actually how it lost power? If it was the driveshaft spinning inside the coupler would I have any power? It goes about 5mph or enough to get it on the lift. When I rode it onto the lift it just felt like it wanted to go but had no ass behind it! Thats why I was thinking clogged impeller...are there any other areas to look for debris in or around the intake because it felt like it just wasn't sucking in any water. I did find a few twigs lodged on the middle bar of the grate. It's just hard to diagnose when its 125 miles away sitting on the lift if you know what I mean.

+1
    do your rpms rise at all?

so this does not sound like its bogging out on you or any thing?

for giggles whats teh compression on this machine?

are the fuel upgrades done in this? tripple pump? fuel lines? carbs ever cleaned?

how chewed up is the prop? look threw the intake grate and the exit nozzle on the pump

The rpm's do rise...I asked the previous owner and the compression was around 124 to 130 across all cylinders last time he checked it, so I don't think its a cylinder issue unless I lost a cylinder. The fuel pump was upgraded to get better supply to the front cylinder as well as the hoses changed out recently.
    The impeller felt like it had normal wear on the edges or nothing out of the ordinary...one question I do have on this machine is should the impeller be hard to spin by hand...I was trying to spin it while it was on the lift & I was in the water but it was hard to reach because of the grate. Could a restricted exhaust be a issue as well? Just not that familiar with this machine and trying to learn more...Thanks for your help.

+1
    iwould check compression your self just in cse you did loose a cyl

take all spark plugs out and try turning it now..

i dont think it could be a clogged exaust but its easy enough to take teh water box out and look inside..

any over heat signals? whats it rev up to?

I will check the compression when I get down there this weekend. I did not want to over rev it, but I briefly ran it up to 2100 RPM's before I limped back to the lift. On this bike where is the water box, since I am not familiar with it yet...or are there any good illustrations or schematics floating around out there for this particular bike. I have read a few posts concerning a possible clogged 1mm opening in a exhaust screen that can cause issues on the exhaust side that cause it to bog down...are you familiar with that as well. Thanks again!

+1
    Check the compression when you get there. if you holed the center piston, it will still rev past 6000 on the trailer and sound ok.. first take off each plug wire while its running and see if the r's drop, if they dont, that cylinder is suspect.

wear a rubber glove, youll get a slight shock from the plug wire if you dont..

its ok for me , ill just tolerate it, tells me if its firing.lol

Thread Information