Thinking about adding acessories, the Depth Finder and DTE?

I ordered a 2010 RXT-IS and am thinking about adding the Depth Gauge and the feature that tells you "time till empty".

The Depth gauge is pricey at over $300 but it would cool.

The DTE would be cool to know you have 60 minutes left, 15 minutes left.

If your in shallow water you should be able to see the bottom so I don't know how much the Depth Gauge would protect you from damage.

Both seem like they are novelty items but I usually like such items.

So my questions are:

Does anybody have these installed?

Is it easy to switch between all the different functions that the gauge can display?

What are your opinions on why you did or did not install them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
    I ordered a 2010 RXT-IS and am thinking about adding the Depth Gauge and the feature that tells you "time till empty".

The Depth gauge is pricey at over $300 but it would cool.

The DTE would be cool to know you have 60 minutes left, 15 minutes left.

If your in shallow water you should be able to see the bottom so I don't know how much the Depth Gauge would protect you from damage.

Both seem like they are novelty items but I usually like such items.

So my questions are:

Does anybody have these installed?

Is it easy to switch between all the different functions that the gauge can display?

What are your opinions on why you did or did not install them.
    I don't currently have one on my ski but I did ride on very often a few years ago before I got mine I used to borrow one of my cousin's GTX's that had all those features and to be quite honest I rarely ever switched the function that shows the speed. It was cool I guess, for example theother day we went about a couple miles offshore to just hang out when we all decided to jumop in adn stay there for a while and the topic of how deep it was came up no-one had a good answer but if you would have that feature you could've given an exact answer. I think it would be more useful if you are also thinking of adding a fish finder and doing some Jetski fishing

And the time till empty thing...that's not necessary imo, once you get to know your jet ski you know how much gas/time you have left.

Angry

I had a 2004 GTX 4TEC SC and had a depth sounder added to it. I guess it's usefulness depends on where you ride. I ride on an inland lake with several inlets and shallow waters. The lake water is not clear enough to let you see the bottom (if yours is, lucky you) so knowing the depth is helpful to avoid starting the machine in water that is too shallow (< 3'). It also tells you when you are in deep enough water (> 6') to apply full throttle.

Knowing the depth of the water helps avoid ingesting sand and stones into the pump (costly repair).

As for the "time to empty", I believe the 2010 RXT X I just purchased has this, but I haven't taken delivery yet. I'll know on Monday. I'm interested in "distance to empty" as I always use the 1/3 1/3 1/3 rule when I am out exploring. 1/3 of the tank out, 1/3 of the tank back and 1/3 of the tank for reserve. I believe the RXT X has this function, but I'm not sure about the iS.

The 2009 iS had "cruise control" which allows (among other things) you to limit the idle forward speed so you don't create a wake in marinas. For 2010 Sea Doo deleted it (go figure) on the iS. The RXT X doesn't have it either, but it can be added as an option. It too is costly - about $200.00 plus install (.6 hrs) and taxes.

Thread Information