2004 GP1300R Issue

I have a 04 GP1300R with 44 hours on it. Put it in for the first time this year and it starts and idles fine. Then at full throttle it started to intermittently bog down. I'd lose RPM's and the exhaust tone would drop real low. Then it would come back and run fine for a little bit and then do it again. My thought at the time was bad gas, about 5 gallons left over from last year with 10 gallons of new gas. Or maybe a loose electrical connection. After a while the warning light started to blink (no buzzer) and the exhaust temp indicator lit up. A restart would clear it for a bit. After a while it started to stop bogging down, although it still didn't seem to be running at full power, but the exhaust temp light would keep coming on after a few minutes. It's the exhaust temp warning that leads me away from gas and electric as well as other things like the YPVS. The battery is brand new and I don't see any water inside the bildge. It idles OK when hooked to a hose and water is coming out the pilots. After reading a lot of previous posts I'm thinking the cat when and it's clogging the exhaust causing the bogging and setting off the temp warning. Any diagnostic help would be appreciated to help me figure it out. I'll be putting in a D plate in any case but I'd like to know if that's behind my problem or not.

+1
    looks like you already know whats wrong

The D plate should arrive this week. I removed the cat last weekend so I could get a look at it. It looks OK to me, it hasn't broken up or anything. Maybe it's clogged although I've never used anything other than Yamalube. Hope, this fixes the problem.

The cat's been replaced with the D-place and I put in the temp sensor chip. It's not giving the exhaust over temp warning anymore like it was before, but it's still losing power. Coming out of the creek going slow at 3K RPM's it will suddenly drop to 200 then come back after a 10 seconds or so. It kept doing that for a while, just losing RPM's and then getting it's power back. After awhile it seemed to stop doing that but at wide open throttle it never went above 5500 RPM. The power valves seem to be OK, they self adjust after you turn it off. The plugs don't appear fouled. I can only think it's the EFI, either it's bad or something's telling it to drop power. Any idea's???

Change the plugs there cheap and check the compression so you can rule that out

+1
    Have seen this on my ski-It could be a sensor issue-mine felt like the traction control feature came on to quick-did it for a few trips out, but hasent done it since-can't explain why-might be worth reposting saying t/c cuts in too soon-might be an easy fix if somenoe has the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CreekRunner View Post
    The cat's been replaced with the D-place and I put in the temp sensor chip. It's not giving the exhaust over temp warning anymore like it was before, but it's still losing power. Coming out of the creek going slow at 3K RPM's it will suddenly drop to 200 then come back after a 10 seconds or so. It kept doing that for a while, just losing RPM's and then getting it's power back. After awhile it seemed to stop doing that but at wide open throttle it never went above 5500 RPM. The power valves seem to be OK, they self adjust after you turn it off. The plugs don't appear fouled. I can only think it's the EFI, either it's bad or something's telling it to drop power. Any idea's???

Thread Information