Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

02 Polaris Virage hesitation (free dinner 4 the right fix)

I've been fighting the same problem on my 02 polaris virages since I bought the ski a few years back. The initial problem was the ski would start up and idle fine but when trying to give it gas, it would stall. If you somehow pumped the gas and got it above 2.5-3k (RPMs) the thing would take off. This of course got a little easier to manover once the engine heated up to normal temp but you always had to give it full throttle off the start or it would stall. I replaced the green gook fuel lines and rebuilt the carb (several times) but get the same result. The pop off pressure was right around 18-20psi. Recently, the ski has a hard time starting. There's actually a trick to it now. If you pump the gas at just the right time it will start. Checked the compression and it's even on both cylinders. The jet ski reachs around 53-55mph at top speed and has plenty of power above 3-4k rpms. I seen a few forums talk about engine timing. Is this easy to check? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... PLEASE HELP!!!!

I replaced the reeds and it did appear to make the ski a little more responsive but it didn't fix the hesitation. According to the owners manual, the 02 Virage requires a Keihin LE Carb were everyone I seen was a CDKII. Not sure if that would make a difference?

FREE DINNER FOR HOWEVER FIGURES THIS OUT!!!!

+1
    check out the link in my sig

have you cleaned the carb(s)?

have you replaced fuel lines?

whats the compression?

I replaced the green gook fuel lines and rebuilt the carb (several times). I'll check your forum

+1
    this is k477's page he made up.. i just have it in my sig to help you guys out

did you bypass the fuel selector?

answer

The fuel selector meaning the selector for the prim or res tank? If so, no.... Have you seen problems with that unit?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdave4 View Post
    The fuel selector meaning the selector for the prim or res tank? If so, no.... Have you seen problems with that unit?
    The fuel selector valve often needs to be cleaned out. They can develop a flow restriction, or leak air into the fuel flow.

Remember that the fuel system is under suction from the fuel pump, not pressure. Poor seals translate into air bubbles inside the fuel lines to the fuel pump.

If you take it apart for cleaning, make sure the internal seals are in good condition.

I would just bypass the selector and run the reserve right into the pump inlet so long as you have a known working MFD that shows you the fuel level. Removes the possibility of a air leak there. And if that does fix it, you can open it up and replace the seals/clean it if you still want it there.

Less fuel line going to less things means less restrictions for your fuel pump. BEFORE the pump is crucial, if youre sucking in air, its bad news.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    I would just bypass the selector and run the reserve right into the pump inlet so long as you have a known working MFD that shows you the fuel level. Removes the possibility of a air leak there. And if that does fix it, you can open it up and replace the seals/clean it if you still want it there.

Less fuel line going to less things means less restrictions for your fuel pump. BEFORE the pump is crucial, if you're sucking in air, its bad news.
    Never remove or bypass the fuel selector valve, other than for testing purposes.

It is important to actually turn the valve OFF when you are not riding the machine. It prevents excess air pressure in the fuel tank (from the sun or engine heat) from forcing fuel through the carbs and flooding the engine.

Not only does excess fuel make the engine hard to start, if enough fuel gets through, you can actually hydro lock and damage the engine with liquid fuel.

Even more dangerous, excess fuel in the engine creates a cloud of explosive fumes inside the hull. This can be extremely dangerous.

If you look back through the history on this site, you will find reports of owners with the entire engine filled with liquid fuel, right up to the flame arrestor.

You will also find reports of PWC explosions.

There is a single fuel tank vent check valve that is supposed to prevent excess fuel tank pressure. Sometimes the vent gets stuck closed, and allow pressure to rise much higher than normal.

The fuel selector valve is your second layer of protection against a dangerous situation. It is there for a reason.

Interesting... I wouldnt think the entire engine could fill up with gas like that!

I dont think anyone I know turns the fuel off, ever... I suppose its easy enough to do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdave4 View Post
    k. The initial problem was the ski would start up and idle fine but when trying to give it gas, it would stall. If you somehow pumped the gas and got it above 2.5-3k (RPMs) the thing would take off.
    the 02 Virage requires a Keihin LE Carb were everyone I seen was a CDKII. Not sure if that would make a difference?
    The 700 engine was also refered to as " 700 Marine LE"
    Maybe they claim it's low emmisions.

In the service manual the LE carb looks exactly like the CDK 2. Except the single carb LE have 4 jets.

Your carb has an accelerator pump. After the engine was running, you should be able to squeze the throttle 2-3 times and see a squirt of gas from a small nozzle into the throat of the carb.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information