Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help With 04' FX Cruiser HO

I was hoping someone on the forums might be able to help. I just bought a used 2004 FX Cruiser HO with 55 hours and first time out I have power problems. The RPM's rev high/normal but initially PWC will not go above 10 MPH. After about 10 minutes of this the machine seems to "kick in" and go to about 30 MPH. That is then the top speed. Same cycle occurs after resting machine and trying to use again. From reading other forums I think the issue could be the spark plugs? I have winterization records for every year, nothing in the intake, prop appears fine, etc. Previous owner says he never had any issue with the machine. I believe him. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

+1
    First job is to change the plugs & take it from there, they are small diameter (10mm) & are notorius for fouling & causing these sorts of issues.

That sounds exactly like my situation. My ski is in the yamaha shop as we speak. The mechanic found that it was running only on two cylinders due to a clip on the wiring harness that had fallen off one of the injectors, or was loose on one of the injectors, either way, sounds very similar to me. My issue now is when it starts, it idles fine buy when you crack it wide open, the butterflies in two throttle bodies are sticking open at 5000rpm and they cannot seem to find the problem. The safety recall on the throttle bodies has been completed.

Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    First job is to change the plugs & take it from there, they are small diameter (10mm) & are notorius for fouling & causing these sorts of issues.

Thanks for the replies. I will start with the spark plugs. 5/8 socket to remove? Should I invest in a torque wrench?

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dafreak View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will start with the spark plugs. 5/8 socket to remove? Should I invest in a torque wrench?
    Yup!!
    Ive got the similar ski..............
    plug issues are big!
    I agree .........change them!

RSM

Changed the plugs and still having the same problem although I was able to get up to speed quicker and the top speed was definitely higher. However, I still had to putt around at 10 MPH for about 10 minutes until it kicked in. Full throttle would yield the correct RPM's but I would only go the said 10 MPH. Any other thoughts on what might be up?

PS-It is almost like it needs to warm up before working correctly. Could it be the fuel line?

+1
    I was hoping someone on the forums might be able to help. I just bought a used 2004 FX Cruiser HO with 55 hours and first time out I have power problems. The RPM's rev high/normal but initially PWC will not go above 10 MPH. After about 10 minutes of this the machine seems to "kick in" and go to about 30 MPH. That is then the top speed. Same cycle occurs after resting machine and trying to use again. From reading other forums I think the issue could be the spark plugs? I have winterization records for every year, nothing in the intake, prop appears fine, etc. Previous owner says he never had any issue with the machine. I believe him. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
    If the engine is running good and reving fine, and the craft is not moving, you may have a problem with the impeller/wear ring and or transom/shoe seal blown out

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    If the engine is running good and reving fine, and the craft is not moving, you may have a problem with the impeller/wear ring and or transom/shoe seal blown out
    Thanks for the reply. My follow up question would be why does the PWC work normally after 10 minutes or so? The longer it sits, the longer it takes to get up to speed.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. My follow up question would be why does the PWC work normally after 10 minutes or so? The longer it sits, the longer it takes to get up to speed.
    its really hard to diagnose anything over the internet without putting an eye-ball on it, especially without pictures

why dont you post some photos of the rear of the shoe/transom and impeller/wear ring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information