Fog Every 48 Hours??

I was buzzing through the maintenance manual for my '02 Virage i today when I noticed the section about fogging. I usually just blast past this section since I fog normally, or so I thought...

According to the manual, I'm supposed to fog the engine every time I plan on not riding it for 48 hours. Whoa. Because if that's true I'm definitely not doing it enough.

Anyone care to shed some light on this little issue? Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakesJK View Post
    I was buzzing through the maintenance manual for my '02 Virage i today when I noticed the section about fogging. I usually just blast past this section since I fog normally, or so I thought...

According to the manual, I'm supposed to fog the engine every time I plan on not riding it for 48 hours. Whoa. Because if that's true I'm definitely not doing it enough.

Anyone care to shed some light on this little issue? Thanks.
    I fog after every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ujustlost View Post
    I fog after every ride.
    Does that mean I should be doing it after every ride? I heard that you'll go through plugs quickly if you fog daily. True?

I'm just a casual rider (once a week), so I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I should definitely be doing.

Any input would be helpful.

+1
    Does that mean I should be doing it after every ride? I heard that you'll go through plugs quickly if you fog daily. True?

I'm just a casual rider (once a week), so I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I should definitely be doing.

Any input would be helpful.
    Yes, I fog after every ride. Through the carbs and the heads. I have never heard of it destroying the plugs and I have never had an issue with it. IMO fog after every time, take care of your equipment and it will take care of you!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How often to fog the engine

Many fresh water riders only fog their engine during preparation for winterization, and generally do not have problems with engine longevity.

That said, my own recommendation is to fog any time the machine is going to be left sitting for more than a few days.

If you ride in salt or brackish water, then you should fog the engine after every day on the water.

It is primarily the steel roller bearings in the crank case and the cylinder walls that you are protecting from potential rust.

The more rigorous you are about engine fogging, the lower the risk of engine failure due to internal rust. Even a thin layer of 'surface rust' on the roller bearings can dramatically reduce engine life.

An important related step is to run the engine on land (no water), and firmly burp the throttle a few times to blow excess water out of the water box and exhaust system.

No need to wildly rev the engine, just squeeze the throttle hard from idle, and release well before the red line. Let the RPM fall, then do it again, maybe 3 or 4 times total. You will see the water blowing out of the exhaust. Takes maybe 10 seconds to do, then shut the engine down.

You will not get all the water out, just the majority. The heat and RPM also helps dry the crank case out, if there was any moisture in there.

Do this every time you are finished riding, even if you are not going to fog.

If you then want to fog, let the engine cool for a couple of minutes while you do other post ride chores. Drain excess water out of the hull and check for potential issues around the engine. Eyeball and hand check hoses, wiring, oil and fuel lines, battery cables, etc.

When the engine has cooled some, prepare to fog it. Start and run at idle (no water cooling) as you spray fogging oil down each throttle intake. Work quickly.

You don't need to drown the engine in oil, just apply enough to nicely coat the engine internals. Should take maybe 15-20 seconds total run time.

Some engines will rev up when spraying the fogging oil, others will stumble and may even stall. Restart if necessary to complete the job. Shut it down.

At this point the critical crank case and cylinder wall areas should now have protection from moisture and rust. For short term storage, this should be sufficient.

For longer term storage as an additional measure of protection, you can remove the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil down each hole. Leave the spark plugs out, and bump the starter a couple of times to help distribute the oil within the cylinders.

Again, you don't need to flood the engine with oil - just a decent spraying. Hand tighten the spark plugs to keep foreign objects out.

Do NOT reconnect the spark plug wires. Leave them off to remind you that the top end has been fogged. If you have grounding studs for the spark plugs, store the plug wires on them.

When you later want to run the engine before the next ride, remove the spark plugs. Lay a cloth over the plug holes, and crank the starter for a few seconds. Any excess liquid oil will spray out.

If there is a lot of oil coming out, keep cranking in 10 second bursts until it subsides.

Re-install and torque the spark plugs, and re-connect the ignition wires.

Engine is now ready for starting.

Note: Don't forget to frequently grease the through-hull bearing, especially if you ride in salt water. If your engine has a solid PTO drive shaft coupler, grease that too.

Use a good quality marine grade waterproof grease. I like synthetic waterproof grease.

I primarily ride once a week in fresh water, so taking the advice given I think it would be smart to fog after that ride. I think I have some Seafoam Deep Creep laying around that should do the trick.

Also, good advice on blowing out excess water. Unfortunately I have not been doing this step, but definitely will from here on out.

I appreciate the details.

+1
    I primarily ride once a week in fresh water, so taking the advice given I think it would be smart to fog after that ride. I think I have some Seafoam Deep Creep laying around that should do the trick.

Also, good advice on blowing out excess water. Unfortunately I have not been doing this step, but definitely will from here on out.

I appreciate the details.
    meijers has sta-bil foging oil for $3.99

Thread Information