Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 250x Ultra Supercharger Shaft Snapped

2008 Ultra - I recently had a local Jet Ski / Motorcycle shop install the Riva Stage 1 kit and the R&D Performer kit, including the 1:1 pulley, Powershot, injectors, etc...

After 10 minutes on her maiden voyage, catastophic failure, stalled. Started back up and limped in. Took back to the shop. They describe it as the "Supercharger Input Shaft" being broken in half.

Any idea what caused this ?

Anyone have a blown or used Supercharger with an intact shaft that I could possibly purchase ? Any idea where to get one ?

How can we prevent this from happening again ?

Thanks.

+1
    how rough was there install? if oem pulley was removed correctly without force and the replacement pulley installed correctly should be no problems, however as skip has pointed out use the wrong size bolts and you could be in trouble

Well I was not there to see the wrench turning, so I do not really know. I do know that I bought the special tools recommended by R & D needed for the whole job including the puller tool. The mechanic used the R & D tools ... they did call in to R & D for support because the new pulley was not seating properly, but I have no evidence that any "gorilla torque" was applied.

How about too much tension on the belt? Ive seen a drive belt on a car sheer a crank pulley off in about ten minutes of running.

David

+1
    maybe your answer is in what you have said here "not seated properly" who knows only your mechanic will be able to answer where it went wrong.
    could be a number of other variables seized bearings, fatigued shaft, alignment, loose bolt, worn out s/c, no oil,

Quote Originally Posted by Skaneateles 08 Ultra 250 View Post
    Well I was not there to see the wrench turning, so I do not really know. I do know that I bought the special tools recommended by R & D needed for the whole job including the puller tool. The mechanic used the R & D tools ... they did call in to R & D for support because the new pulley was not seating properly, but I have no evidence that any "gorilla torque" was applied.

+1
    all of the above plus how many hours on the ski, do you ride in the surf, if so do you fog after every ride....... the extra stress of the pulley may have just brought the failure out quicker. I could send you a shaft but the sc is non servicable, you can get the shaft out but not back in with out ourga's help. Get a new one you will enjoy the fresh full boost that comes with it. stick with the 1-1 pulley its proven when done right.

Ski has 51 hours, only ridden in fresh lake water, not abused, always serviced in the Spring/Fall. Here are some pics of the broken shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010053.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	191608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010055.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	191609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010067.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	191610  

Been there...Done that.....We had another boat do the same a few weeks back. He too had the 1-1 on his ski. I did not have the 1-1 on my ski. Mine broke on a ROUGH day. It will set u back about 2k.

I can handle the approx 2K ... question is, will it happen again, and again, etc ...

Sorry Red Ultra, if it were 250-300 maybe I would consider since my risk would be low at that price point ... for 850, I'd rather buy a new one, but thanks for the offer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaneateles 08 Ultra 250 View Post
    I can handle the approx 2K ... question is, will it happen again, and again, etc ...

Sorry Red Ultra, if it were 250-300 maybe I would consider since my risk would be low at that price point ... for 850, I'd rather buy a new one, but thanks for the offer.
    10hr old sc for 850 thats a good deal.

I think there may have been a fault with the older sc's (pre 2010) as they had a bolt to hold the dampner on, so the shaft was drilled and tapped, the new sc I brought 2 weeks ago, now has a thread and a cap nut, so maybe it was a week point. My last sc shaft snapped, 125 hrs on it, 60 hrs racing, 30 with 1-1, the sc was getting tired and I expected it to break from the nasty noises coming out it and it only made 10 psi cold, dropped to 8 hot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information