Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar

Ready to junk my polaris

Ok everyone, I know this is where all the good info is, and the very smart people that wrench on these all the time, so here is my problem. I have a 97 sl780. 2 years ago, she stopped dead in her tracks. The stator wen bad, so last year I replaced the stator. Come to find out I had no spark, and a generous Green Hulker gave me a cdi. Got spark, and kinda runs. Here is my problems, and questions:

Can an oil pump leak over time, and go into the crankcase. I have ALOT of oil spitting out of the exhaust when I do get her going. . I dumped alot of gas down the carbs to dilute the oil in the crankcase, and it seems to be getting better

Quetion 2:When I did the stator, i took the gas tank out. I marked the 3 gas lines and believe they are back on correctly. My problem is that I dont seem to be pulling the gas to the carbs. My seperator is about full, about 2 inches from the top. Should it be full to the top? Maybe it needs to be primed? It runs when forced fed fuel down the carbs, but I dont think its getting it from the tank. Could the fuel pump be bad? I'm about to give up. Thanks for all your help ahead of time

+1
    I've always loved your avi.
    Look the 780 powerplant is an awesome unit with the correct time spent with it, don't throw her down the river now that she's running.

Have you replaced all that old ugly fuel line?
    Cut the plug wire ends?
    Be sure to verify your hoses are indeed hooked up to the sender correctly.
    Clean the carbs and be sure to check the reeds!
    Check your timing after the stator install?
    Quit pooring gas down the carbs before you blow the motor out of the hull.
    Go back and methodically go through the fuel system, you're probably closer than you think.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy'sbitch View Post
    I have ALOT of oil spitting out of the exhaust when I do get her going. . I dumped alot of gas down the carbs to dilute the oil in the crankcase, and it seems to be getting better
    Check your pulse line and pump, they may be filled with liquid and not pulling fuel from the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Check your pulse line and pump, they may be filled with liquid and not pulling fuel from the tank.
    +1
    I had this happening to me as well.

All great suggestions. I am not even sure where the fuel pump is and how it operates. Everything was great until the stator and cdi took a dump. I cant find pics to confirm that my lines on the tank are correct. I'm not sending it up the river yet.... but if i do, I'd like for it to go under its own power. I am frustrated. Sorry for venting, just not enough time in the day, and this isnt helping. If pouring gas down the carbs grenades it.....problem solved
    I put the new stator where the old one was. There was a little oil in the cover. I cleaned it and put cdi and thats when the oil was coming out the exhaust. I assume oil is in the crankcase. Can oil pump leak into it? The fuel lines say marine on them, not sure if they are original. I'd love to take the carbs apart, but I would have a better chance performing open heart surgury

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the aci. Its one of my fav pics of snoopy

It actually isn't that hard to do the carbs. It seems like it, but it really isn't. With everything here as well as the service manual it can be done in under 2 hours. Just make sure you dont ruin the wife's table or tablecloth doing it.

Are your fuel lines grey? If so then they could very well be the originals. I would replace them all, even the ones in the tank. Cost is under $40 and less then 2 hours to do. Do it at the same time as doing the carbs.

The 780 has a tripple pump from the factory. You can rebuild it...just replacing seals, or get a new one for $30. Just follow the lines from the tank back to the engine and you will see it. Will have 1 line going in, and 3 lines going out. When you do this it makes figuring out what line is what in the tank easy as well.

Thanks for the info. My lines are black fuel lines from an auto parts store. Should my water seperater be full of fuel or about half full. Can the fuel pump be tested?

Talking fuel hose routing

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy'sbitch View Post
    Thanks for the info. My lines are black fuel lines from an auto parts store. Should my water seperater be full of fuel or about half full. Can the fuel pump be tested?
    the fuell hoses go as follows...
    1). look on top of fuel/water seperator there is an in arrow and out arrow
    2). the line on the in arrow comes from the out nipple on fuel sending unit
    3). the line on the out arrow goes to the inlet of the fuel shutoff selector
    4). the outlet on fuel selector goes to inlet on fuel pump(this is the connection right next to the pulse line coming from the crankcase)
    5). the three fuel lines coming off of the pump are cut to fit in length so if you did not remove them they will go back where they came from. i dont think it matters which connection nipple on pump supplys what carb any way.
    6).follow the carb rack towards the front of the ski at the very end there is a fuel line coming off of it,this one goes to the return nipple on the fuel sending unit. there should be a restrictor either in the line itself or you can look at the nipple on the end of the carb rack and it will have a very small orifice instead of an open pipe
    7). there is one hose left and that is the vent line on the fuel sending unit, it goes to the vent located at the front of the base for the seat,(take the seat off you will see it there) and there is a small vacuum valve coming off the vent line also.

i hope this helps as i went through the same issues before i put my 96 slt 780 out to pasture, woulda' shot it f i had a gun!
    regards,
    steve cain DC1 (SW/ATS) U.S. NAVY RETIRED

Great videos Bone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information