+1

Reserve fuel selector is stuck

My GP1200 didn't have the best Memorial Day weekend.

After it died for no reason, I tried to move the fuel selector from "on" to "reserve" thinking the ski was out of gas. The switch wouldn't move. Its stuck.

Any way to unstick this thing without breaking it?

BTW, after towing the ski in, I found it still had plenty of gas and don't know why it died and wouldn't restart.

+1
    Buy a primmer kit and get rid of the selector. I think SBT or WSM sells those selectors for like 15 dollars they are all plastic. No metal parts to freeze up. Lee

take the top screw off the knob on fuel selector then unscrew big plastic nut,remove fuel valve and lines,small Phillips head screw holding valve together ,take that off and pull middle of valve straight out with pliers and clean and put some grease on it,that should take care of it unless your valve is really bad.

+1
    explorer, thank you for the details on how to take that selector valve apart. I'm going to try that when work allows some time.

Lee, thanks for the information on replacement options. Now I've got some information to work with. Thank you, guys.

Fuel selectors do clog up,you will know when you get it apart,if so the good thing is they are cheap to replace,if you do find junk in the valve also check your lines and filter,if you could not turn it at all then it is probably corroded bad,if that turns out to not be your issue ,i would make sure you are getting fire to plugs,narrow it down.

+1
    I won't have a chance to work on it until the week of the 14th. I'll install the fuel sender that I got from Lee at the same time that I take apart this suspect fuel selector.

My choke cable is pretty much frozen up as well. Saltwater. Even though I spay down and thoroughly flush the motor, saltwater still does it's thing .

I replaced mine and left it in the reserve position all the time and sure enough it was frozen after 3 months of riding in the salt water so i just left it alone. The choke sucks the ski will start so much easier if you remove the choke plates and install a primer instead dont waste money on a new choke cable.

+1
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the choke cable. I won't be wasting any money on a new one. If I can free it up, then great. If not, then its time for the primer kit.

Thread Information