Painting seadoo?

I am fairly good at painting and i am thinkin of custom painting my rxp but i was curicious about paiting the bottom of the hull. it has a few minor scratches on it. i was wondering if i just used bondo to fill them in or is there a better way of making the bottom like new again. and do i need to use a special marine clear for the bottom?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by konman707 View Post
    I am fairly good at painting and i am thinkin of custom painting my rxp but i was curicious about paiting the bottom of the hull. it has a few minor scratches on it. i was wondering if i just used bondo to fill them in or is there a better way of making the bottom like new again. and do i need to use a special marine clear for the bottom?
    I've done a couple bottom re-dos , I always just use actual gelcoat to patch, bondo sucks. Use duraglass or something as well. If your going to paint it use PPG or Imron, you can get both in a single stage ( clear added) but its better to use base clear if your worried about screwing it up, That way if you get runs you have plenty of material
    to work with ( wetsand)

Once you patch the scratches with gelcoat it's best you use epoxy primer over the old gel-coat and patch work, then your color

If your on budget use something like Omni ( bottom of the barrel PPG) you can get it in single stage, you can get omni epoxy primer
    as well. Its decent paint for the price.. As far as a special clearcoat, not needed unless the ski sits in the water all the time. Then you would need a non fouling bottom paint.

I've also heard good things about AWLgrip as well.

This is a very powerful motor in a sea-doo, however, the 951 has too much torque for the two cylinders. If you will notice that almost every 951 equipped sea-doo has had the engine replaced or rebuilt. The GSX is a much better choice. Also, you will have a really hard time carrying a passenger on the XP. Don't get me wrong, the bike sounds awesome, however, you, in a few summers,will come to regret this purchase.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsan View Post
    This is a very powerful motor in a sea-doo, however, the 951 has too much torque for the two cylinders. If you will notice that almost every 951 equipped sea-doo has had the engine replaced or rebuilt. The GSX is a much better choice. Also, you will have a really hard time carrying a passenger on the XP. Don't get me wrong, the bike sounds awesome, however, you, in a few summers,will come to regret this purchase.
    Wrong thread?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    Wrong thread?
    +1, I thought I was going nuts.

Words of wisdom from the one post warrior.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsan View Post

Thread Information