Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

intake manifold upgrade

tried to do this upgrade today. i had greenhulk to provide me the Riva upgrade kit for the intake manifold and after reading the manual i got tools etc ready. it did not go according to plan though. disconnecting all the wiring was never mentioned in the Riva manual. the sizes of the bolts can only be guessed, as the manual does not specify most of them. never mind, i pushed on. then getting the j-pipe off was only possible after i went laying down across the engine, trying to get the bolts out while i could not see them. what a pain! i admit defeat. i rather ride a slow ski instead of going through this again. maybe i get somebody to do it for me some time, but i am not drunk enough to try this again.

+1
    Disconnecting all the wiring harness from the fuel rail and pulling the injectors makes things much easier. Pull all that shit out of the way and pull the intake off. You'll have much more room to work.

i disconnected all the wiring and the fuel rail. that was easy. attached a pic before removing the fuel rail. getting onto the bolts below without much space to work and while in that awkward working position and not being able to see anything what i was doing pissed me really off, so i stopped, put everything back and decided i would rather enjoy my "slow" ski over the weekend. maybe next week i have a higher pain threshold to try again... if i can find someone to do this for me for money, including the riva intercooler upgrade, that would be even better. i'll put on the anti-cavitation cone this sunday, but that should be a piece of cake
    for now i'm fed up of working alone on the ski and getting cramps no fun!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	191568  

+1
    That upgrade is the only one I didn't do myself. Nothing wrong with knowing what you are comfortable doing.

Would be very smart to do the intercooler upgrade at the same time as the ribbon removal. And throw a new shaft and wheel in at the same time while the SC is on the bench.

Makes me respect the guys that do this for a living every time I run into something that tries to kick my ass. The electrical connectors on top of the fuel tank seemed so small but tried to defeat me...

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    That upgrade is the only one I didn't do myself. Nothing wrong with knowing what you are comfortable doing.

Would be very smart to do the intercooler upgrade at the same time as the ribbon removal. And throw a new shaft and wheel in at the same time while the SC is on the bench.

Makes me respect the guys that do this for a living every time I run into something that tries to kick my ass. The electrical connectors on top of the fuel tank seemed so small but tried to defeat me...
    Yeah....this job will test your patience. FYI....I found no way of removing the throttle body without taking the intake manifold off. The throttle body will hit the case with it connected to the engine.

The electrical plugs on top of the fuel tank almost made me give up doing this ever again. Ski was almost sold and I was was gonna stick with dirt bikes. Finally after my 4th beer or so I had an epiphany. I got a small pair of pliers and squeezed it. Worked perfectly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRsmartarse View Post
    ...The electrical plugs on top of the fuel tank almost made me give up doing this ever again. Ski was almost sold and I was was gonna stick with dirt bikes. Finally after my 4th beer or so I had an epiphany. I got a small pair of pliers and squeezed it. Worked perfectly.
    That was exactly the same strategy that I used--including the refreshments.

yep it is the biggest pain ever, not only did i do it the first time two weeks later i bought my bov yea it got easier but still a pain.

when u got the power n speed after all the hard work,u will think all u suffer is worth it

thanks for the encouragement!!!
    it's still a big learning experience for me
    this weekend i won't touch the engine, just going out to play

wow, today was the big day to attack the manifold upgrade. it took me 2.5 hours to complete it, alone. but in the end i can say that it was not too dramatic, maybe a good learning experience after all.
    here's how it looks like...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00018.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	193069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00019.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	193070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00021.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	193071  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information