+1

ecu test on an xp800

I know how to test the mpem box, but is there a way to test the ecu? I'm still tying to figure out whats going on with my ski.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    No such thing on a 96. But there is a CDI. There are test procedures in the manual. They rarely fail. What are your symptoms? History prior to the failure?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    No such thing on a 96. But there is a CDI. There are test procedures in the manual. They rarely fail. What are your symptoms? History prior to the failure?

Hey RQ, Here is a link to his original posting with a desc. of his problem. Hopefully you can point him in the right direction and school me a little more. lol! http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126818

Thanks Ron! Boulton, you busted your inductive pickup inside the front cover. The ears of the originals were weak, and subsequently if you case a wave prety hard you can snap it off. Most of the time the engine will turn over, just no spark. You didn't blow the 5 amp fuse on your MPEM?

Anyway, remove the front cover and see what you have.

+1
    a friend and I went over the whole ski tonight to see if i missed something and found a broken wire in one of the plugs going into the gray box up front. fires right up now. so relieved, I can't take it when something is broken and I can't figure it out. thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by WBoulton View Post
    a friend and I went over the whole ski tonight to see if i missed something and found a broken wire in one of the plugs going into the gray box up front. fires right up now. so relieved, I can't take it when something is broken and I can't figure it out. thanks for the help though.

What did it go to? Do you know? Inquiring minds want to know! lol! and congrats to by the way.

+1
    I'm not sure actually. I pulled the gray box out to test the mpem and as we were putting it back in my buddy noticed one of the wires moving in one of the three wire plugs. it was a black wire so I assume it was a gound wire. popped it apart, reattached the wire and bam it was running again. I assume the broken wire in the black box was the reason it didn't crank and the wire going to the gray box was the reason the gauges weren't lighting up.

Quote Originally Posted by WBoulton View Post
    I'm not sure actually. I pulled the gray box out to test the mpem and as we were putting it back in my buddy noticed one of the wires moving in one of the three wire plugs. it was a black wire so I assume it was a gound wire. popped it apart, reattached the wire and bam it was running again. I assume the broken wire in the black box was the reason it didn't crank and the wire going to the gray box was the reason the gauges weren't lighting up.

That's awesome. You probably found a connector to the lanyard. There are only two black wires that go to the mpem and they are grounds. One goes to the lanyard and the lanyard gets it's ground through the mpem. The other is the ground wire for the mpem. It dawned on me the other night that I forgot to include checking the ground circuits for the lanyard and mpem. That's an easy check to by clipping your test light to the posititive post on the battery and probing the ground wires. Thanks for replying back with a little more detail on what you found.

+1
    thanks to everyone on the forums for helping me out with this thing. Between this site and one of the guys over on pwctoday I've been able to fix everything myself on this ski. Next I'm gonna be installing a worx grate, spec 2 pipe, and proks. wish me luck lol!

You got very lucky just having a wire broken! That's the first I've ever heard of one breaking. It must have been previously pinched or stressed.

But...congrats on an easy fix!

Thread Information