Need some advice 2001 big bore tripple

Hey guys,

I recently picked up what i thought was a 2001 yamaha gp1200r with tripples that needed work(3rd cylinder). Turns out after I get the thing apart it is a group k big bore 1390 kit with 48mm carbs some kind of fuel add ons, welded crank of some kind and speedwerx pipes. I picked this thing up from a guy who knew nothing about the ski other then it was really fast the one time he rode it befor it let go. I am slowly learning that i may have made a bad purchase. One of the cyinders is trashed(bottom tabs broken off). The other 2 cylinders are salvageable says group k.

I purchased this ski with the intention of throwing the spare stock cylinders I had in the shop on the ski and being back on the water. So here I am with a delima weather to part out the ski and try to get my money back out of it. Break even and look for something closer to stock maybe with a few mods or to sit on this ski and miss the while season here in Ohio while i manage to get the change together to be able to fix it.

What say the green hulk experts? I know which way im leaning just wanted to get your take on it.

Thanks

Yea, sounds like you have a ski full of aftermarket mods....if you don't have much experience then I would say part it out. Or at least sell the pipes and go with a single pipe but you still have alot of work ahead of you like jetting, setting up the timing, prop ect...

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    Yea, sounds like you have a ski full of aftermarket mods....if you don't have much experience then I would say part it out. Or at least sell the pipes and go with a single pipe but you still have alot of work ahead of you like jetting, setting up the timing, prop ect...
    what he said.

Did you buy this from John M near Cleveland? Darn, I knew I missed out on a great project if so!

But seriously, just do yourself a favor and keep it. If you take your time and search the board you will have no problem rebuilding this ski and you will be happy that you did!

The fact of the matter is that these triple yamis cost some ching to rebuild whether they are stock or modded. Since you already have probably 90% of all of the best goodies with this ski, you will be happier in the long run.

Mike

+1
    First advice from me would be stay away from GroupK they will do nothing but cost you money, I have seen it time and time again.

Well I do thank you guys for the advice. After thinking about it for a while I have decided to cut my losses. Now I just have to figure out if its better to part it out or sell everything as a whole.

thanks again guys

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by 93-6-speed View Post
    Well I do thank you guys for the advice. After thinking about it for a while I have decided to cut my losses. Now I just have to figure out if its better to part it out or sell everything as a whole.

thanks again guys

part it out on here, we know what the parts are worth and have a use for them.

it normally takes about 1-3 weeks to part a ski out in full on here if priced right

that is, once you have enough posts to post a for sale thread of course.

ps: if it has a 14 vein skat pump i will take it off your hands

Im working on getting my 25 post count. I have one person that pm'd me about buying the entire ski if he doesnt come through then I will be parting it out. I would much rather see someone get this that can get it back on the water then put one down by parting it out, although id prolly get more money in return if I did part the whole thing out.

Again guys I thanks you all for the advice and will be looking forward to learning much more in the future.

James

Thread Information