Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 seadoo gtx rfi wont start in water

hey guys new to the site love it i have a question for you guys that you might be able to help me figure out so here it goes i have a 99 seadoo gtx rfi that i put a new motor in and insted of putting a new oil pump on it i converted it to gas oil mix now when you put it in the water it will run and run really good intell you shut it off then it wont start when i pulll it out of the water it will start right up could this be from me making it premix

thanks for your help in advance
    David

+1
    you may have just made a costly mistake. you CANNOT use premix on a rfi/di. since they are both injected directly in the cylinders, if you disable the oil injection pump, nothing is lubing your crank. you must use the oil pump on injected boats. you need reinstall the oil pump. depending on how long you have run it, you may still be able to save it be not if you keep running it like that.

as for the hard starting, you have probably fouled your plugs from the premix ratio. rfi's run abit leaner than carbed skis but the added oil has probably blackened the plugs.

you might want to keep an eye on your fuel pump also as i dont know if it is going to like the thicker fuel/oil mixture.

well i have the oil line going to the crank sill hooked up do you think 200 dollars is a fair price for a new oil pump thanks

+1
    i'm sure you can find them cheaper than that on ebay or on here.

k i will check in to that thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    i'm sure you can find them cheaper than that on ebay or on here.
    k i will check in to that thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    you may have just made a costly mistake. you CANNOT use premix on a rfi/di. since they are both injected directly in the cylinders, if you disable the oil injection pump, nothing is lubing your crank. <<<<< This only applies to the DI.

RFI Injects into the Rotary Valve Cover and Intake Manifold lubricating the Crank Bearings and Cylinder Walls just like the Carb. 787.

You must retain the Rotary Valve Drive Shaft Oil Bath between the R and L side of the Engine if you remove the Oil Tank and go to pre-mix using a 1/2" closed tube w/ 2"~3"expansion air pocket connected to the Oil Bath Barbs. on both sides of the engine.

Why would you want to go to pre-mix on an RFI anyway ? I would re-install the Oil Pump since there are no benefits from pre-mix in an RFI + as mentioned before, it runs leaner than the Carb. version with different Oil Injection ratio.

you must use the oil pump on injected boats. you need reinstall the oil pump. depending on how long you have run it, you may still be able to save it be not if you keep running it like that.

as for the hard starting, you have probably fouled your plugs from the premix ratio. rfi's run abit leaner than carbed skis but the added oil has probably blackened the plugs.

you might want to keep an eye on your fuel pump also as i dont know if it is going to like the thicker fuel/oil mixture.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
    well i have the oil line going to the crank sill hooked up do you think 200 dollars is a fair price for a new oil pump thanks
    It *must* be an RFI Oil Pump--They are different inside and a lot more expensive than the 787 Carb. motor version.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=67&B=1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    !

just curious to see how you think any oil will get to the RV, big rod and wrist pin bearings if the oil injection is diabled? the oil bath only lubes the RV shaft and gears. the two inner seals prevent it from oiling the rest of the crank. without the oil injection, the crank is dry since the fuel mixture is injected above the rings in the chamber.

the 800 rfi injectors are in the side of crankcase,now the DI inject directly in combustion chamber.jmho>Marvin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information