Making my skis saltwater ready

Hey guys I only have every took my jet skis out on freshwater but I'm taking the family to Florida for vacation and want to take the skis with us. Does anyone know what I need to do to make them saltwater ready? Also, what I need to do as soon as we are done in the water?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    what type of ski is it?
    the newer skis use closed loop cooling and not as much flushing is needed,
    if it were me, I would rinse them inside out, even if the engine bay is dry, moisture will be in the air and it will eventually corrode the engine compartment.
    also rinse the underside of the ski where the shaft, pump area and intake grate is.

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    what type of ski is it?
    the newer skis use closed loop cooling and not as much flushing is needed,
    if it were me, I would rinse them inside out, even if the engine bay is dry, moisture will be in the air and it will eventually corrode the engine compartment.
    also rinse the underside of the ski where the shaft, pump area and intake grate is.
    1998 900 STX, 1997 SeaDoo XP

+1
    Get you some of the SD XP-S spray and coat everything inside the engine compartment. The 4-tecs have closed loop, but the exhaust still has some water going into it, so you need to flush the motor to get that out. For flushing dont know were you are staying, but alot of the condo's we have stayed at have a hose somewere you can hook up to. Last year we stayed in Ft. Walton and the car wash near our condo had a hose you could use for flushing.

+1
    Just snaped and saw both your skis are open loop. You definately want to flush them after you ride.

+1
    I'd suggest spraying the engine area down with some of SeaDoo's XPS spray stuff while they're dry. That'll help keep the water off some components.
    I replaced most of the hose clamps with good quality, SS ones. There are a couple I didnt and they got pretty coroded. Watch for that-- XPS spray the clamps if they haven't been replaced.

I use a hose end sprayer to wash ours down (in and out) with Saltaway , then rinse off with water. Some use a hookup to flush the engine with Salt Away, then water. I havent done that-- just water to flush them.

Don't forget to wash off the trailer, too.

After every ride make sure you rinse the entire ski off and flush the engine out. Also spray the engine bay down with the XPS spray, CRC 6-56, or Fluid film (those are the most popular). What I do is spray the entire engine down after its cool to the touch. Then just take a rag and wipe everything down.

I would definately second the xps lube I ride in salt water all the time and I usually spray before I go out when the motor is dry then if I know I'm going out the next day or multiple times over a couple days I hold of on washing the engine compartment but after the I do was the engine compartment the next day when everything is dry I coat the engine in xps again. I have definately noticed salt deposits if you dont, they build up quick. For the hull and outside I use the saltaway same as the xps if I know i'm going out multiple days in a row ill just use regular car soap and water but in between I'll saltaway too.

on another note besides a hill and picking the trailer up, anyone come up with any creative ways to spray out the engine compartment and footwells while your washing the ski. I can't stand the soap left in the footwells so I always try to have someone around to spray them out while I lift up the trailer. usually with the engine compartment I just hose off with low pressure then lift the trailer to let everything drain.

Thanks guys I'll Definattly be going to get some of that spray.

Thread Information