Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS

GPS

Wanting to get a gps to carry in my ski. Any suggestions on a brand or model?

I usually use my phone. If you have a smart phone you can load a speedometer app in it and use that. If not go to west marine or whatever you have close by that sells them and get a feel for what you want. Then write down the model number and search for it online cheaper. That's what I would do. I know its not much help but I hope it helps somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by m. cole View Post
    Wanting to get a gps to carry in my ski. Any suggestions on a brand or model?
    I have the Garmin eTrex Legend but the Foretrex 201 seems to be a popular choice among the forum mbrs.

eTrex Legend is $116.54 @ Wal-Mart
    Foretrex 201 has been discontinued according to the Garmin website but you can still find on eBay & possibly some retailers - Should run abt $100~$115.

The advantage of the 201 is it has a strap so you can wear it on your arm. The Legend does have an optional handlebar mount if you prefer it that way.

Good Luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legend.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	191792  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    I have Garmin Rino 130s and 530s on my 'skis which give me a GPS/Map/Radio and I can see everyone else's location on the screen to mine. They have a new yellow Rino 110 that is cheap on Ebay. I have the handlebar mount so I don't have to look down.

Thanks all for the suggestions. They all sound good. JRINJAX I might be seeing you if Joey decides to come down to get the hull.

+1
    I use the Garmin Colorado... it has the marine SW in it so i am fine on the water. I also have the Lakes SW it will help me on the lakes and smaller bodies of water as well as on the sound and the ocean. I like to Geocache so with the TOPO SW i'm good to go there too.
    Hope it helps..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m. cole View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions. They all sound good. JRINJAX I might be seeing you if Joey decides to come down to get the hull.
    I have two vacations coming up, two weeks from now and the week after the fourth of July. Hopefully I'll see you. I have finally got all the bugs worked out of all three of mine.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Garmin 76CSx. Works good and you can buy mount.

+1

Smile

I used to have that model... I sold it and traded up to the Garmin Colorado.. it's a great unit.. i just wanted something a wee bit smaller. Yes, There is a handle bar mount for the Colorado i dont know about the 76 csx.. which is on sale i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    I have two vacations coming up, two weeks from now and the week after the fourth of July. Hopefully I'll see you. I have finally got all the bugs worked out of all three of mine.
    That's good to here. I have been keeping up with your posts at both sites. I drove up to ride with Joey the other week. It was Great! have a nice vac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information