Thread: 97 xp mods?

97 xp mods?

I want to do some minor mods to my ski. Since this is my first ski I have no idea what brands are good and what order I should do the mods.

I was thinking of starting out with an intake grate and possibly a different flame arrestor ? Is this a good place to start and what brands are good?

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    from what ive been told by the vets is Proks arrestor and jet kit...(PPG)

more HP and better fuel ecconomy

thats motor mods

if you ride on rough lakes maybe intake grate and hull extender/trim tabs

I'm mainly looking for more hook up after a spin or hard turn. It seems to cavitate at the rev limiter for too long. The lake I usually go to does get fairly rough also. Will a intake grate fix that? If so which one does everyone recommend?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by strehl View Post
    I'm mainly looking for more hook up after a spin or hard turn. It seems to cavitate at the rev limiter for too long. The lake I usually go to does get fairly rough also. Will a intake grate fix that? If so which one does everyone recommend?

It'll help it hook up, but It may need a new wear ring if it's banging the rev limiter like crazy.

What is ok for clearance between impeller and wear ring? I have around .015.

I've also got a 97 XP. When the ski was stock it would do 53mph GPS and about 54 on the speedo.

an R&D intake grate will make a great difference keeping the ski hooked up in a very hard turn or in choppy water.

Sponsons also make a really good difference.. The best way I can describe it is the rear of the ski will slide out before the sponsons, after it steps out a touch before hooking and going!

A Solas Concord prop and new wear ring made a nice difference also. It bites much better down low and picked up a few MPH on top of that.

Prok flame arrestors also make a really nice difference. I believe I picked up about a MPH just with those.

I've also got a Rossier pipe, Jetworks valve, and MSD water injection. To be honest those mods didn't do a whole lot for me even with really careful plug chops and tuning.

My ski now runs 58mph GPS. It would be a bit faster but remember the intake grate will cost you some speed. I also believe mine might pick up another MPH or two with another re-pitch as its over revving a bit right now.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I put a skat swirl 17/22 on my old 97xp and it was a day and night diff in the bottom and mid range with a lil lose of top end speed. I would also take out the stock air box and put prok air filters and outwears on it, that boat likes to suck in water ALOT and that will help keep it out and also make your ski run better.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    I put a skat swirl 17/22 on my old 97xp and it was a day and night diff in the bottom and mid range with a lil lose of top end speed. I would also take out the stock air box and put prok air filters and outwears on it, that boat likes to suck in water ALOT and that will help keep it out and also make your ski run better.
    yea i havent riden mine yet(96 & 97) but it does look like the 97 has more opens that can take on water...and with that large front hood/seal...

with my 96 im making it a rough water and out the hole ski

the 97 i want more top end speed, so its getting all the opposite parts as 96 besides proks arrestor

Thread Information